Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Saran Wrap Block

I've been working on a block (sloper, or master pattern) made by having myself wrapped in saran wrap from the waist up. It was quite a process, but the results have been very gratifying. We used instructions by Kathleen Fasanella printed in The Creative Machine Newsletter in 1999.

After cutting the saran off, I laid the pieces on pattern paper and cut darts to open them flat, and then taped them down. It's interesting to see how asymmetrical one is. I added 2" wearing ease to the pattern and tried it out in a very stable woven with a separating zipper in the back. It was almost the most comfortable thing I've ever worn! I marked a few changes, mainly in the armhole size and shape, then drafted a sleeve pattern from scratch. I finally got the sleeves tested today, and they are great. Now I plan to make an actual top from nice fabric, and see how I like it. I will lengthen it from the block, which only goes to the waist, and change the neckline, as a jewel neckline is deadly on me, but other than that, I'm going to stick with the basic shape. I'm hoping to be able to draft patterns from this, and I don't see why I can't really. Of course, I'm trying to do this in the middle of the SWAP contest and the JJJ, so it may not happen particularly quickly, but I think I'm on the right track anyway.

My fellow wrappee agreed to help if I would draft her pattern for her, so I will be doing that too, but not just immediately!

No comments: