Friday, January 12, 2007


Border Print Gown

I seem to be in a "get the easy things done now" mood lately. I am always loathe to buy garments like this nightgown, as they're so easily made, but then I don't get them done, either. This is a cute border print polyester I found, and it just said nightgown to me, especially at the grand price of $2.50 for the 1 1/2 yards I bought. I copied an old favorite gown, using beading I had on hand for the straps and upper edge trim, where the original had narrow binding. It's quite a simple shape, but that's just what a nightgown should be. I cut it out Wednesday night, and stitched it up last night.

Nightgown Reverse

I should have posted a picture of what I used for trim on this gown, especially when it's called beading and has nothing to do with beads. I don't even know why it's called that, but as far as I know, that's the name for it. Here's a (somewhat blurry) photo.

It's lace that has largish holes or eyelets in it, and ribbon is run through them, or in this case, behind them. Often it's a contrasting ribbon, although this one is matching.


Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Very very cute! Love how your binding trim complements the fabric. The fabric is fabulous.

Marji said...

what a nice gown. Are you saying Beading as in the heirloom eyelet type lace that has holes for the ribbons? I can't zoom in close enough on the pic to tell. At first I was thinking beading as in the little glass beads and wondering how you managed to sleep on beads.
I went to the pics. I Love those stretch Lace T-shirts. Did you copy those from RTW as well?

Liana said...

Marji, I meant beading in the heirloom sense of course, although I certainly was NOT clear about it. Actual beads would be pretty uncomfortable, wouldn't they? :D (Makes me think of the Princess & the Pea.) The Lace T-shirts are KwikSew 2286, OOP I think, but very simple, and you could easily copy RTW on this too.

Favorite Apron said...

I tend to knit in the winter and sew in the summer -- I just love this little gown. I've been shopping for something similar - I don't know why it didn't occur to me to make it. duh!