Friday, January 12, 2007

Nightgown


Border Print Gown

I seem to be in a "get the easy things done now" mood lately. I am always loathe to buy garments like this nightgown, as they're so easily made, but then I don't get them done, either. This is a cute border print polyester I found, and it just said nightgown to me, especially at the grand price of $2.50 for the 1 1/2 yards I bought. I copied an old favorite gown, using beading I had on hand for the straps and upper edge trim, where the original had narrow binding. It's quite a simple shape, but that's just what a nightgown should be. I cut it out Wednesday night, and stitched it up last night.


Nightgown Reverse

I should have posted a picture of what I used for trim on this gown, especially when it's called beading and has nothing to do with beads. I don't even know why it's called that, but as far as I know, that's the name for it. Here's a (somewhat blurry) photo.

It's lace that has largish holes or eyelets in it, and ribbon is run through them, or in this case, behind them. Often it's a contrasting ribbon, although this one is matching.

4 comments:

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Very very cute! Love how your binding trim complements the fabric. The fabric is fabulous.

Marji said...

what a nice gown. Are you saying Beading as in the heirloom eyelet type lace that has holes for the ribbons? I can't zoom in close enough on the pic to tell. At first I was thinking beading as in the little glass beads and wondering how you managed to sleep on beads.
I went to the pics. I Love those stretch Lace T-shirts. Did you copy those from RTW as well?

Liana said...

Marji, I meant beading in the heirloom sense of course, although I certainly was NOT clear about it. Actual beads would be pretty uncomfortable, wouldn't they? :D (Makes me think of the Princess & the Pea.) The Lace T-shirts are KwikSew 2286, OOP I think, but very simple, and you could easily copy RTW on this too.

Genuine Lustre said...

I tend to knit in the winter and sew in the summer -- I just love this little gown. I've been shopping for something similar - I don't know why it didn't occur to me to make it. duh!