Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Shirt & Blouse
Here's the finished shirt for Pearle. He picked out the buttons, and I made the buttonholes last night, pulled all thread ends to the back, tied them and hid the ends, applied Fray-Check, then allowed it to dry overnight, and sewed the buttons on today. I'm quite pleased with this shirt, and I will take it to the fair next week. You can see more photos here, including a close-up of the placket and cuff.
This is my test version of Marfy 1101, one of the free patterns included with the Fall 2006/07 Marfy catalog. I used a fabric I don't particularly care for, but it has no give in any direction, so it's nice to test things. I didn't use any interfacing, but this gives me a good idea of what I'll get with a different version. I think this would be nice in a chiffon actually, or probably any blouse fabric. I will make a couple of changes for the next version, including using smaller buttons. There are very small shoulder pads in this blouse, and I quite like
the fact that some padding in shoulders is making a comeback. I don't think I want to go clear to the huge proportions we left in the '80's, but a little is nice. There's a close-up of the cuff here.
You can see the pattern drawing below, and I did a very silly thing when I was tracing the pattern. It was quite late Sunday night, and for some reason, I traced a size 44 first. Of course, that's not the size I need, but if someone would like my tracing of it, let me know. First come, first served!
Size 44 translates to Bust 92cm/36.25", Waist 72cm/28.3", Hip 96cm/37.8".