Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Shirt & Blouse


Here's the finished shirt for Pearle. He picked out the buttons, and I made the buttonholes last night, pulled all thread ends to the back, tied them and hid the ends, applied Fray-Check, then allowed it to dry overnight, and sewed the buttons on today. I'm quite pleased with this shirt, and I will take it to the fair next week. You can see more photos here, including a close-up of the placket and cuff.


This is my test version of Marfy 1101, one of the free patterns included with the Fall 2006/07 Marfy catalog. I used a fabric I don't particularly care for, but it has no give in any direction, so it's nice to test things. I didn't use any interfacing, but this gives me a good idea of what I'll get with a different version. I think this would be nice in a chiffon actually, or probably any blouse fabric. I will make a couple of changes for the next version, including using smaller buttons. There are very small shoulder pads in this blouse, and I quite like
the fact that some padding in shoulders is making a comeback. I don't think I want to go clear to the huge proportions we left in the '80's, but a little is nice. There's a close-up of the cuff here.

You can see the pattern drawing below, and I did a very silly thing when I was tracing the pattern. It was quite late Sunday night, and for some reason, I traced a size 44 first. Of course, that's not the size I need, but if someone would like my tracing of it, let me know. First come, first served!

Size 44 translates to Bust 92cm/36.25", Waist 72cm/28.3", Hip 96cm/37.8".

5 comments:

patsijean said...

Liana,
Love the top. The size of your tracing would be perfect for me. I would very much like it, if possible. If too late, I understand.
Thank you,
Patricia

Liana said...

Patricia, You're first, so it's yours. Are you on Stitcher's Guild? If so, send me a PM there with your address, etc. If not, we'll figure something out. Glad you can use it!

Debbie Cook said...

Liana,
I really love this length of blouse on you. The whole style is quite flattering but the length really caught my eye because it's a bit different than your usual. I think it gives you a visually longer torso and with those great long legs under, well, wow! :-)

Anonymous said...

Liana, shirtmaking my favourite subject!

One question though: Does Fray-Check still checks fray after multiple washing or is it just for the first finishing?

Liana said...

Debbie, Thank you! I like this length too. I measured the back length, and it's 26", which I have made a note of, as I think I should use this length again, for other things even. :)

Anon., Fray Check is permanent as far as I know. If you want to get it out, you can soak it in alcohol for 30 minutes, but other than that, it stays in.