Thursday, July 13, 2006

Shoe Covering




I'd been thinking about doing some shoes again, and when the shoe issue came up with the Matka jacket, organza blouse and print skirt, I decided now was the time.

I went through all the satin dyeable shoes I had on hand, which are what I have used for covering in the past. I used to buy the mis-dyed ones on the semi-annual sale at a local shoe store, and so I have several pairs in reserve. They're pretty classic pumps, and although I could wish for a higher heel, these are actually really comfortable.

I've been asked for photos of the process in the past, and I had planned to take photos the next time I did a pair. I decided that this subject needed a lot of photos to illustrate it, and I have posted a series in a gallery called Shoe Covering on my photo site at Pbase. There are instructional captions as well. If anything is unclear, just ask. It's not particularly hard, you just have to be meticulous, and careful.

These are covered in the same Seafoam Silk Matka I used for the Marfy jacket, and the heels are covered with a crocodile print faux leather. I have not done heels this way before, although I have covered them with cloth, or even left them the original dyed color of the shoe. I also bleached and redyed one pair before covering the heels only. It just becomes very fun to dream up color and decoration schemes, and I really wonder why it's been at least 10 years since I did a pair.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liana, those shoes are just amazing! What a wonderful co-ordinated outfit! Thanks so much for sharing with the photos. I know I have been impressed with your shoes and to see how you do it is really helpful.

patsijean said...

Thank you so much, Liana. This was really quite helpful.

Anonymous said...

Hello.
I discovered your beautiful site tonight and I must congratulate you. Marvellous sewing and style. I have bookmarked your site for regular check ups on your projects.
As I live in the tropics and have a very casual social life I really do not have a need to sew a lot. At present I'm sewing turbans and berets for those unfortunate enough to be suffering cancer and have lost their hair through treatment. I'm enjoying the work and am embellishing madly...
Thank you.
Dell. [from Australia.]

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thank you so much. As I was reading---and wishing there was some even semi-dressy occasion in my future, it occured to me that I could certainly cover flats as well! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog last summer and it's like Christmas everytime you post something new..Your style, creativity and photography always intrigue me!!

suzee said...

Just marvelous. You're amazing.

Erica Bunker said...

those shoes are great. something like that will make the dullest pumps or slingbacks fabulous! OH BTW -- shoes are my other obsession!