Thursday, July 13, 2006
I'd been thinking about doing some shoes again, and when the shoe issue came up with the Matka jacket, organza blouse and print skirt, I decided now was the time.
I went through all the satin dyeable shoes I had on hand, which are what I have used for covering in the past. I used to buy the mis-dyed ones on the semi-annual sale at a local shoe store, and so I have several pairs in reserve. They're pretty classic pumps, and although I could wish for a higher heel, these are actually really comfortable.
I've been asked for photos of the process in the past, and I had planned to take photos the next time I did a pair. I decided that this subject needed a lot of photos to illustrate it, and I have posted a series in a gallery called Shoe Covering on my photo site at Pbase. There are instructional captions as well. If anything is unclear, just ask. It's not particularly hard, you just have to be meticulous, and careful.
These are covered in the same Seafoam Silk Matka I used for the Marfy jacket, and the heels are covered with a crocodile print faux leather. I have not done heels this way before, although I have covered them with cloth, or even left them the original dyed color of the shoe. I also bleached and redyed one pair before covering the heels only. It just becomes very fun to dream up color and decoration schemes, and I really wonder why it's been at least 10 years since I did a pair.