Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Coat Progress 2
Here's the coat with the sleeves pinned on at the top. I'm beginning to really like it, and I did get the sleeves set in this evening too. They went in so nicely. I was afraid with all the layers that it might be a problem. I've got sleeve heads pinned in ready to sew tomorrow, and then I'm about ready to hem the body and sleeves and line it. It's hard to believe I'm this close, but it's suddenly been what I want to work on for hours at a time, or at least as long as I have at any one time.
One thing I really like I hadn't planned on. It happened when I turned the collar right side out. The corduroy undercollar is on the bias with a CB seam, and after I turned it, the corduroy was peeking out around the suede upper collar. I just love the way it looks! It's like a twisted binding, so I hand edge stitched it so that it will stay that way. I did the same on the lapels, reversing below the roll line so that the edge of the suede lapel shows on the corduroy front. I think it added quite a lot. I was really worried about how I was going to make the collar look really finished, as I didn't want to try to topstitch this because of all the layers and the thickness even after trimming and pounding flat and everything else I could think of. I thought about saddle stitching, but I settled on a pickstitch, and I think it looks nice.
Here's a close up of the collar edge.