Friday, March 31, 2006

Test of Vogue 2719 Blouse

I decided to take a Vogue Couture dress pattern (2719) that I believe is a re-release of a vintage style, and make a blouse out of it instead of a dress. Instead of just altering the pattern to fit me, I used my saran block and made the dart changes on it and then basically traced the style lines from the Vogue pattern onto my pattern. I wasn't sure if this would work or not, and so I decided to test the pattern using a turquoise woven I had on hand. The fit is quite good, but it just didn't appeal to me, and I was surprised as I thought I would like that style quite a lot.

I knew the collar was too wide; it was just a little too "authentic" for its period, so that had to change. I also wanted to change the back zipper for a side zipper. I may not have to use a closure at all, as there's a lot of room with the open neckline. I didn't stitch the back darts in the trial blouse though, and I will in the real one, so the zipper may have to be back in. The sleeves need to be a little longer as well as the blouse in general. I will more carefully adjust the gathers at the shoulder, and permanently stitch them. I also think it's going to be very important to use a print or patterned fabric. It's just too severe or something, otherwise. I decided to use a blue and taupe cotton batik from Timmel Fabrics that I originally bought to use in my 2005 SWAP, but I changed my colors enough that it wasn't going to work. I think it's going to be rather good in this pattern, though. You can see the turquoise test below. The sleeve hems are just pinned at the top, there's no hem in the blouse, and the buttons at the top of the neckline aren't on.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Very flattering. I've never thought about using a dress pattern to create a blouse! You're inspiring.