Monday, March 20, 2006

An Announcement - Stitcher's Guild

In case you noticed the new link I added to my sidebar, this will explain what it is. It's a link to a Bulletin Board (discussion site) called Stitcher's Guild.

If you're a regular Sewing World participant or reader, you have probably noticed that SW seems to be becoming more unstable all the time. Threads are unable to continue to their former length, more and more often a white screen appears while trying to access the site, things disappear without warning more than once a year, and the Search feature, which was never too great, no longer works at all.

Over the last couple years, I have become practically addicted to Sewing World, and especially to the Sharing, Inspiration and Project Photos thread. I knew others felt very much the same, and when Kathryn (fzxdoc) seemed to also be looking for a solution so that everyone could regroup in case of a Sewing World crash, I was very pleased. We put our heads together and have been working for a while on this.

What we have come up with (with the extremely generous help of DragonLady) is SWRefuge, (now renamed Stitcher's Guild) a wonderful board where we can all regroup if necessary, or anytime actually. If you use the link above or on the sidebar, you will find a lovely board with very modern features. We hope that you'll like it as much as we do.

I want to introduce and say a special word of thanks to DragonLady. You may remember her from her posts on SW, and she was also very aware of its problems. She runs a couple other boards and is very experienced at it, and was willing to quickly solve our problems. We have been overwhelmed by her kindness and her expertise.

So, that's the scoop, and I hope this explanation is clear and complete. Kathryn and I have emailed a similar explanation to those SW posters for whom we happen to have email addresses, and it will also be posted on SW. We want to be very aboveboard, and hope that you will all realize that we've done this from our hearts, not to gain any sort of advantage (and what that advantage would be, I don't know).

(3-27-06 This post edited to reflect the new board name and URL. All links are now correct for the new site.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for setting up the new site. I am a frequent reader of your blog as well as Sewing World. I've learned so much from these discussion topics. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have so many sewing enthusiasts share their passion for this craft.

Geri

Anonymous said...

Oh good job Liana, and I was wondering if the fault was my computer. Thanks, now to finish reading your post.

Sewisit.