Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Marfy 1234 Jacket Shell


Photo Link

Here's how far I've gotten on my first version of the Marfy 1234 jacket. The fabric is much more a melange of colors than I think shows on the photo, and the contrast which is just laid on top of the jacket shell is a perfect coordinate. It's a taupe which just makes the colors pop in the jacket fabric. The reverse of the taupe is a dull aqua, and it's okay with the jacket too, but it didn't make it sing like the taupe does. I'm so sorry this doesn't come across in the photo, at least on my computer, but it's great in person. This is something I just bought, and for once I bought a lot, so I have 5 yards of the taupe/aqua to use for coordinates. Definitely pants and probably a skirt, but I feel like I should do something with the reversible qualities of the fabric too, so I may come up with something else too.

I never did post photos of my jacket muslin, although I took enough of them. Every time I did, I found something I could improve. I ended up tucking out about 1" at the waist, and 3/4" above the bust in the front and tapering to nothing at the side back seam. There may have to be a little more taking in at the hem, but I wanted to wait until I saw how it was going to hang in the actual fabric, as that can make a difference. It's not overly big around there now, but the muslin doesn't drape like the boucle, and I don't want it to look skimpy.

I'm now at the point where I need to decide whether to fuse-underline the sleeves. I'm sort of against it, as I don't want them to be stiff, but I wonder about doing a small area at the cap, besides the hem area, which will naturally be fused. I also need to decide on a lining.

I've been pulling threads out of the extra boucle to see if I want to make my own trim, besides the contrast strips on the sleeves and pockets. It could be very pretty trim, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. I think I may like the very tailored look.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

The jacket is coming along nicely and I like the contrasting collar and agree it makes the colors pop in the jacket.

Elaray said...

I really like the fabric you chose. I nice color for spring.

Nancy K said...

I like using a bias piece of fusible at the sleeve cap. Podolak uses it in her Easy sew Jacket book. I like how it supports the sleeve cap even though I use a sleeve head too.

Claire said...

The jacket is shaping up beautifully. Using the taupe/aqua for coordinates is a great idea.

Meg said...

Hi from a bouclé addict who is interested in this jacket's progress. Looking fabulous so far...