Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Marfy skirt is Done!

I finished the Resort Tweed Marfy skirt #9420 last night at about 1am.

I'm rather pleased with how it turned out. I fiddled with the waistband for quite a while last night, as it wanted to be too loose, and so I ended up shrinking and easing quite a bit of the skirt at both the CF and CB. I like the way the drape turned out, and the separate layers hang very nicely. I did a baby hem on the silk. This technique was demonstrated at the Linda Lee seminar I went to a couple weeks ago. How timely, and it made a very nice hem finish.

Here's the silk hem, with the tweed hem above it. The blue is just the couch under it.

I made a straight grain turned tube for the band at the yoke/panel seam. I was afraid I might have to use bias, but with the print, I really thought having it on the straight would give a prettier look. It worked just fine, and I finished it with a bow. I don't think that's too much, since I'm not having tassels on the skirt points. That would definitely be too much for me, anyway.

Here are a photo of the back of the skirt, and of the bow treatment. The line that shows at the CB of the yoke must be a shadow, as there's no CB seam, and no dark line either. Sorry it's a little washed out. The last photo is quite true to the colors.


I attached the flattened tube by hand with silk thread which just melted into the background.

I hope to be able to get the jacket done, as well as some kind of shell, as I'd like to wear this to a brunch/fashion show on Saturday. We'll see how this week goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Liana -

Your skirt is beautiful!!! Definitely worth all the work and frustration, I'd say. I hope the jacket goes together smoothly for you. You'll look stunning in the ensemble!

Pearl :-)

Lori said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Pavlina said...

That is a gorgeous skirt! I love the layering you did, so pretty!