Tuesday, May 10, 2005
I began and finished a pair of summer drawstring pants today, using my favorite Double Burda pattern. I tried a piece of stretch poly/cotton that I've had for a while, and cut the pants as usual, didn't sew the darts, and added a sewn on casing with a self-drawstring. The whole thing only took me about 3 to 3½ hours, and they turned out beautifully. I did a triple topstitch hem, and I’m already planning several more pairs in some very light-weight fabrics. You can see a side view here.
I took my fabric card file with me today when I knew I’d have some down-time, and it was great fun to put together combinations of fabric, and think about what patterns would go well with what fabrics. I need to add a list of my favorite patterns and their yardage requirements, as well as a few generalizations.