Saturday, August 20, 2011

Marfy #093 Skirt with Pocket Changes

From Marfy 093 Skirt


You may remember the tie-dye Marfy skirt I made earlier this month. This time I made Marfy #093 with the cute inseam pockets from Vogue 1247. BeeBee and Carolyn both kindly helped me with the details. Thanks to both of you! I love these pockets. I've worn the skirt several times and I find it both comfortable and stylish.

The fabric is actually a pinstripe. The narrow stripe is a very pale pink, and barely shows unless you really get close and stare at it. It's a stretch woven, and it does stretch out with wearing, so it rests lower and lower on the hip as I go along. Washing and drying seems to help it recover, so it is bearable, but this is the main problem with a lot of stretch wovens, IMO. They are unreliable in their fit because they grow fairly quickly as you wear them.

I wore the skirt on the plane to the Mu Phi convention I attended in Rochester, NY last week. That was fine, except I was surprised to have to be 'felt up' under the skirt by the TSA. Now I know why most everyone wears pants to fly, I guess. I generally do too, but hadn't realized they are anti-skirt. They were even checking some poor woman who had on a tunic and leggings. I guess the original screener didn't know a tunic from a dress, as she was very willing to pull up her tunic for them. I, on the other hand, was not planning to pull up my skirt.

Here's the back view.
From Marfy 093 Skirt

8 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

It is a lovely skirt, it looks very comfortable.I like the tie-dye version too.

Marie-Noëlle said...

I like the skirt and the top too. Did you make it aswell

shams said...

Really nice, Liana. At first glance I thought it was the Rachel Comey skirt from Vogue!

Mary said...

I really admire your skills, and this skirt is just tops! Love the in seam pockets.

Liana said...

Thank you all!

Marie-Noëlle, I did make the top. It's McCalls 2818, a P/P shell that's a nice pattern. Maybe OOP, as I made it in 2005. I posted about it HERE and HERE

Irene said...

Love those pockets!
Have you tried stitching in a narrow twill tape at the waist seam to keep at least that seam from stretching out?

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm glad you were able to incorporate the pockets because it's a great skirt on you!

As for stretch wovens, I've taken to making them just a tad smaller, then when the garment stretches out I'm still comfortable and it still fits.

patti said...

Great skirt, Liana--and thanks for the information on TSA. I usually wear pants when I fly anyway, but will remember this for my two upcoming quick trips!