Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Swim Suit Copy

From SwimSuit


I mentioned a couple months ago that I had started doing water exercise. Well, I'm still doing it, and I like it a lot. One bad thing about it is that you go through a lot of swimsuits because of the daily chlorine wear on them. I have a Kathy Ireland suit that I like a lot. It has a high neck and a lot of support, which is great for this, so I decided to copy it.

Kathi Rank sent me some lovely swimsuit fabric recently, so I plunged right in. It's a very dark navy and white print. I wanted to use foldover elastic for the edges, but had no navy or white or anything that worked, except this BRIGHT lime green. I got it from a co-op a couple years ago. I ordered a few different colors, and they sent me all different colors than my order, but I decided to just keep them and use them as they matched something. I wasn't sure I'd ever use this green, but it was perfect for this.

I decided not to do cups in the lining, but just did a plain powernet piece with elastic at the bottom to see if that would give me more of a no-bounce sportsbra effect. I'm glad I tried it, as I like it. I wore it this morning and had to wait for it to dry before I could take photos. I think I will be making more of these, although I'd like to find a different closure option. I don't like these hooks, and it's high enough in back that it's hard for me to do by myself. Any ideas?

Here's the back, which shows the front lining as well.
From SwimSuit

11 comments:

katherine h said...

Great swimsuit! Can you wriggle into the swimsuit without undoing the clip?

Otherwise, I would change it so that the right strap connects with the left back extension, and the left strap with the right back extension. The straps will cross over about where your clip is, but because they cross and are not sewn on top of each other, you can pull them apart when pulling the costume on.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Fabulous suit. Great fabric and trim choices. So great that you can duplicate something you've loved and enjoy that design for years to come if you so choose.

shams said...

SO cute!! I love that black and white print juxtaposed with that green trim. GREAT!

KayY said...

It's too distressing to think of your beautiful lycra suit in tatters within a few months! I swim regularly and swear by 100% polyester suits. A swimsuit is one of the few things I won't make for myself.

Rosesred said...

The green really makes the suit. How did you go about copying a swimsuit? I tried once, and failed miserably.

Julie Culshaw said...

Wow, that's really sharp! I know what you mean about the pool, I am on my third suit in three months. Other ladies at the pool told me I have to have a 100% polyester suit, the lycra/nylon doesn't survive the chlorine.

Cennetta said...

Great looking swimsuit.

redbamsews said...

Nice suit. I'm impressed. Never had the courage to try this.

Summerset said...

Love the green trim! Swimsuits are great to make, they're pretty easy and the reward is big.

Mardel said...

Great swimsuit!.

zehirliyilanlar said...

Goood blog post