Friday, June 05, 2009

Thrills and Chills

Isn't it fun when sewing gets really exciting again? I keep plugging away, and although I always enjoy it and wouldn't quit for anything, every now and then I just get thrilled with an idea or a little progress on something, and suddenly I'm on a high with no ceiling in sight. Yesterday it happened with a skirt I'm working on.

I thought I was getting a little stuck on lingerie, and I ought to work on something else, like how about one of this season's Marfy patterns I bought? I thought I'd start with this skirt, Marfy #1949.
Photo Link

I knew I was probably going to have to enlarge the pattern a little at least because most Marfy patterns have almost no ease, and I didn't want a really form-fitting skirt. Also since this pattern has only one seam, at CB, is cut on the bias, and has no dart shaping, and only one partial side seam in the pocket, a muslin was a necessity. Actually, the pattern pieces had me stymied for a while because there are so many waistband pieces. There are 6 waistband pieces. One for the front, one for left back, one for the right back, and inner pieces for each of these, so the band has a seam at the top. Then there is a front and back piece that go between the waistband and the skirt to form the pocket, and of course a pocket bag front. It's a beautifully made pattern, but it took me a while to lay it out so I could figure out what was going on. Then it seemed perfectly logical.

So, I was working on this pattern, and also trying to think about what fabric I would use. I wanted to use a plaid or check as shown in the drawing, but what? Suddenly light dawned, and I thought of a piece I got from Elliott Berman's sale, and the perfection of the combination just thrilled me.
Photo Link
I had originally thought of a skirt from it, but nothing specific, and this seemed perfect. I checked, and I think I will have enough. I have about a yard and a half. Luckily, there's no matching necessary, except on the waistband if i want it there, and since there's gathering on the skirt, it won't match perfectly there anyway. I hope it's going to turn out as well as I think it could.

Meanwhile, I haven't quit on the lingerie thing either. It's almost instant gratification sewing, and mixing the colors, fabric, laces, etc. is so much fun, and unlike anything else I do. I have another set in mind, and have copied another RTW bra for a different style, so I will try that.

15 comments:

Sue said...

That skirt is gorgeous! I love the different designs you choose to make!

gwensews said...

Good luck with the skirt. Marfy would be interesting to sew with. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I think the Marfy skirt will be absolutely gorgeous in that fabric. Can't wait to see it made up.

a little sewing said...

That is a drool-worthy skirt pattern and I look forward to seeing how you construct it.
I like how you described the chills and thrills. I feel the same way.

Pam Erny said...

OMGosh Liana....this fabric? and that pattern? Oh...this is going to be one fabulous skirt !

KayY said...

Beautiful combination, Liana! It's totally thrill & chillworthy.

Unknown said...

humm this skirt pattern... I order it to, but when I saw all the pattern piece and the fact I have to downsize a little, I don't have try it yet.
Your fabric seems to be a very nice choice to!
I will follow you sewing, no doubt!

Mardel said...

Oh my gosh Liana, that is going to be gorgeous. I really looked at that pattern and wanted to order it but didn't as I am afraid it would make my asymmetrical hips look worse, but really, you are tempting me again. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Anonymous said...

Liana, Don't you love it when you get that sewing high! Your brain just keeps on churning great outfits to sewing up. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember when you bought that fabric...so it is nice to see it again...and the Marfy skirt is perfect ... can't wait to see the final result....Tina in Va

Nancy K said...

Fascinating skirt! Should be a great project.

wendy said...

I love the little drape in the front and the pocket- such a pretty pattern!

Marji said...

oh Liana, that is a chill-inspiring skirt pattern. Is it avail from Vogue? I think I need it.LOL

Can't wait to see your version. Fabulous marriage of fabric and pattern too.

Nancy Winningham said...

This is a really interesting skirt pattern. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you make it up. You always find the most intriguing patterns!

Beth said...

The pattern looks really interesting! I'm excited to see the finished skirt.