Saturday, June 27, 2009

Marfy 1949 Skirt Progress & Thank You

First of all, I just want to thank all of you who were so kind as to help me celebrate my article in Threads Magazine. It's been so great to read all the well-wishes, and sharing it with you has been almost the best part of the whole thing. I expect to see lots of matching shoes now. Vicki, this means you!

Now on to current projects. I thought you might be interested in seeing the layout for the Marfy skirt I'm working on.
Photo Link
This is the main skirt piece, and as you can see it's on the bias. Yes, I did iron the pattern before I laid it out, but I thread traced it and was ready to cut and had folded the pattern back up, then decided to take a photo. You can sort of see where I altered it, just at the CB top, tapering to nothing at the hem. I have a very high hip, and the draping didn't fall nicely until I got a little extra room where I need it instead of the usual 7"-9" below the waist. The only other changes I'm making is doing the waistband about half as wide as the original. I just don't have room for a wide waistband, and truth to tell, this one at half-width looks pretty wide on me.

I'm underlining with silk organza, and it's been a challenge to get it together smoothly when it's all on the bias. Hand sewing and a lot of pins have been the only thing that works. I've got everything cut out except the bias strips I'm going to use to make piping.

You can also get a pretty good look at the fabric I'm using for this. It's Pendleton wool in a very light weight. I think it has a butterscotch color to it, and I think the fabric is going to be great for this draped skirt.

Just to end on a weird note, I've been missing about 8 or 9 everyday teaspoons for a while now. I could not imagine where they went, as no one's been here, I haven't taken any silverware out of the house, and while I suppose I might possibly throw away a spoon accidentally, nine of them at once seemed unlikely. I didn't really dig through things hunting, as I was sure they'd show up fairly soon. After all, how far could they have gone? I finally found them the other day when I looked in the china closet and there they were in the spoon holder for my silver tea service. I had used them when I had club last, and then stuck the holder with the spoons still in it, into the china closet. I usually use the silver spoons with the tea set, and I don't know why I didn't this time, but I made myself a lot of trouble. Anyway, I was really pleased to find them.

11 comments:

McVal said...

I just got the magazine yesterday in the mail and found your article! I showed it off to my hubby... "Look - I kind of know the person behind this article!"
Great article, btw. I'm going to have to try that!

Claudine said...

Next time you do underlining, you might consider putting your underlining fabric down on the cutting table, then putting the fashion fabric on top, right side up. Lay your pattern piece on top of that, then thread-trace the seam lines through both thicknesses. Then you can cut around your seam lines, catching both the underlining and the fabric.

This method won't work in every situation, but it tends to make life easier if it does work.

I'm glad you found your spoons.

Lisa said...

Liana,
Congrats on the article in Threads! I can't wait to get the magazine in the mail.

don't you hate when you lose things like that? I was ready to divorce my DH over my garden hoe. He swore he put it back where it should be. He & I both looked over the garage. Lo & behold it WAS hanging on the tool rack!

Mardel said...

The skirt is going to be gorgeous and I can't wait to see the finished version!

I have used that trick of laying the organza underneath the fashion fabric and basting them together (Claudine's suggestion). It usually works quite nicely, but it is a little tricky getting everything laid out nice and square.

I am glad you found your spoons. I find it very annoying when I do something like that. Now if I could only find my smallest metal mixing bowl. I use it all the time and it has been missing since Owen was here. I am sure it was used as a toy, I just can't figure out where it went.

Mary Beth said...

LOL, I'm currently on a "patient hunt" for a certain pattern that came in last month...it seems to do no good to tear through everything. Someday the paths just seem to cross and pop! the mystery is solved.

Boy, I've tried the bias organza underlining torture and I think I'll just use a very lightweight fusible from now on. You'll git 'er done, though, I'm sure.

gwensews said...

The drape on that skirt is very pretty. It will be beautiful made in the plaid. Good luck. Are you making matching shoes?

LeeAnn said...

Congrats on the magazine article! I got my copy in the mail and was thrilled to read it. I have a question about this post though. What do you mean when you say "thread trace"?

SewingLibrarian said...

LOL, I once thought I had lost my entire set of sterling flatware! Couldn't find it for the longest time and then one day I noticed it sitting on a basement shelf. I think I had put it there when we went on vacation. (This is when I had a basement - oh, I miss having a basement!)
Linda

Vicki said...

Oh dear, the pressure is on!! I remember years ago when I first saw your covered shoes I went looking for "blank" shoes but couldn't find any ;(. Better look again..lol. BTW, glad you found the spoons!

Connie b said...

Adding my (as my daughter says) CongratuFreakinglations! It must feel wonderful to be published and especiallly in a magazine that so many of your peers read regularly!

katherine h said...

Hello Liana,

I don't think that I have left a comment on your blog before, but I wanted to say that I recognised you in Threads and that I loved your article. I only wish that I had shoes that were suitable for covering. Fab article. Katherien