Saturday, March 22, 2008

Trial and Error


I've been working on getting a nice fitted top that I can use to do a 2-piece dress with and have been through 3 muslins, one wearable, which you see above. After the wearable one, I realized that if I wanted better results, I ought to start with something different as a base. I was using a very fitted Marfy jacket pattern with nice princess seams plus a dart. It was working somewhat, but I realized that no matter how nice princess seams work for everyone else, they've never been my best style. So, I decided to start with a darted pullover Vogue blouse pattern that I had altered using my saran block. I consider the two blouses I've made from it in the past to be some of the best-fitting and most comfortable ones I have, so why not start there? This seemed to work very well. and I'm very pleased with what I whipped up tonight. I made a nice wide scoop neckline and it has small sleeves which I think improve over a sleeveless top for me. I think I'm going to use facings on it instead of lining it completely like I did here, although I do want to underline it.

I will start tweaking my skirt pattern tomorrow and I don't anticipate much trouble there. If I have enough fabric to do it, I want to do a fairly deep pleat on each side of the center and put pockets there.

I ordered a very large scale floral print for this, and I think it's going to be nice. It probably would have been nice to have it done for Easter, except that it's going to be so cold Sunday that I may have to wear my winter coat.

I've also been knitting on a new project. It's the Cropped Cardigan from the big anniversary issue of Vogue Knitting from last fall? I didn't think much of it when I saw the magazine, but Elann had someone knit it up in one of their yarns, and it look so much better than the original. I like the pattern stitch very much. They just call it Textured Stitch, but I realized it looks kind of like crocheted Afghan Stitch to me, although with extra diagonals. It's kind of fun to knit, too. The right side has you slip a stitch, knit a stitch, yarn over, and then pass the slipped stitch over the other two. You just purl back on the wrong side.
Posted by Picasa


Marji said...

It's really nice that you know what works for you. I think for all of us it's a discovery process.
I look forward to seeing your 2pc dress.
And I'm jawdropping floored here - each RS row you're s1 k1 yo psso all the way across? It would take me a month of Sundays to knit a sleeve.
My hat's off to you.

Vicki said...

Couldn't you draft a princess seam top with the saran wrap block? Have you tried that?

BTW, I am glad you went for glasses # 1. I think they are pretty groovy without being too trendy. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Hello Liana,

I've been following your site for inspiration and am truly getting it. I can't believe how many garments you produce- do you ever sleep? :) BTW- are you still using the Elna as your main machine? Thank you for the wonderful ideas and tips, they really are a great motivation for me.