Friday, June 09, 2006

Lacy Shell is Finished


Last night I finished the Schachenmayr Toy Lacy Shell. It was fairly quick to knit, and I'm quite pleased with it. I got the yarn and the pattern book from Elann.

This was another garment where I did the front and back in different sizes. I knitted the Front as a large, and the Back as a small. I usually like the results I get this way, and this was no exception. Since the shoulders are cut in, I made crocheted strap keepers, which work very well. The collar was kind of weird, as they have you stop after a WS row (all plain purled row) when you put the neckline stitches on a holder. Then, when you're ready to do the collar, there are live stitches on each side in the back, and some at the CF, with bound-off stitches in between. So, I put the live stitches from one side of the back on the needle, picked up the stitches before the CF live stitches, and then realized that my pattern was going to be all screwed up if I just knitted across the CF stitches and picked up the side stitches again, as then I would purl back, and so would have 2 plain knit rows in the middle of the lace pattern. I finally picked up the side stitches and then just put the live stitches from the CF on the needle and picked up the other side stitches with a different piece of yarn, and put the live stitches on the needle from the other side of the back. Then, I began with another piece of yarn from the right-hand edge and worked a right side (lace stitch) row. This made for a few more woven-in ends than I otherwise would have had, but I didn't want a strange mistaken-looking part in the pattern right at the center front at the top. I wonder if this is what they expected you might do, or maybe this is the "obvious, done thing", or maybe there's an actual right way that I missed entirely, but this worked anyway.

You can see more photos here. It was a really windy day and I took photos out on the top deck, so hair was flying everywhere. I don't think it adds much, but there you are.

The reason I seem to suddenly be finishing a lot of knitting is that I've had a really bad cold or something (which is wonderful on top of allergies) and it has hung on like crazy. So, not so much energy to sew, but I can sit and knit. I'm finally over it, I think, but my right shoulder is now causing a lot of problems. I've never had anything like this, and apparently it's just muscle strain (they think) but it's hard to try not to use it, especially when I'm right handed. Oh well, just a small whine for the day.

7 comments:

Mardel said...

Lovey Liana, just lovely.

Beth H said...

That's beautiful, Liana. The small back with the large front does work out nicely for you. Great idea.

Ann Rowley said...

Very pretty Liana.
I think I would have started at the back neck - patterned across the first live stitches, picked up along the shaped edge, patterned across the front, picked up etc... and then purled back. But that might have left something too obvious on the shaped edge? What you did worked which is all that really matters. Nice that we all think differently.

may said...

Liana, your pursuit for perfection worked out well and the pattern discontinuity is well minimized I think. I am wondering if the front neckline shaping could be ignored so as to maintain the stitch pattern. Of course, that would change the look of the neckline.

Susan said...

That shell is beautiful! I loved the sweater too! and the Elsebeth Lavold tank. Lavold is my favorite knitting pattern writer, though she's above my skill level. Something to work towards!

stacy said...

It's beautiful and I love the color! It makes me want to start up knitting again!

sewingsuzee said...

This is the first knit top pattern I've seen in a long while that I'd like to both knit AND wear! It looks great on you, and thanks - I'll look for it at Elann.