Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bra/Panty Set


Photo Link

This time I did a set, with the bra from the same pattern copied from a Freya bra, and the panty is Stretch&Sew #2046,which appears to be OOP. I think I have enough lace and fabric left to do another pair, and I may do it.

The fabric is Shimmering Lycra in Nude Blush from Fabric Depot, and the lace is from ELingerieA. I think it all looks pretty good together. (I have to say I really like the lycra fabric color, and I think Nude Blush is a good description. The fabric itself is a little beefy and makes very nice pants. I am going to order the color swatches from Fabric Depot since there are 96 colors listed for this fabric.)

I dyed the elastics, straps, channeling, closure and cotton knit crotch lining with Rit dye in a combination of Rose and Taupe. I like the lace upper cup on the bra, and topstitching it on to the rest of the cup and then adding a scalloped border piece at the seamline makes it lay very nicely. The thing that surprised me about this bra is that the band is stretchier than the last one, and I used the same Heavy Weight Powernet (again from Fabric Depot) for both, except this one was the Nude color and the other was the White. They always say different colors of the same fabric may react differently, but this is the most obvious experience of the phenomenon that I've had.

One thing that happens to me with RTW bras is that at the beginning, the length of the underwire is just right, then after a wearing or two, suddenly I have 1/2" or more of excess length in the channeling, and I end up pushing the wire away from CF and stitching at CF to keep it immobile. This works fine, but seems silly, and if I don't secure it, it pokes me. I ordered 2 different lengths of underwires and have been using the longer ones. When I went to insert it into this bra, it absolutely was too long, so I used the shorter one, which isn't really very much shorter. After a wearing or two, suddenly I needed a longer underwire. Very strange. I will make sure next time that I use the longer one and make it fit since apparently that's what I really need anyway. Here's a close up of just the bra.


Photo Link

17 comments:

Sheila said...

Pretty lingerie set and that was a nifty idea for tinting the straps.

Ann Made Studio said...

WOW, this lingerie set looks wonderful.You did an amazing job :)

Patricia said...

It does look amazing. I love the soft colours and the lace.
Are you finding these more comfortable than RTW bras or just prettier?

gwensews said...

Beautiful lingerie. I have S&S panty patterns from many years ago. What's old is new again!

Rachel said...

That bra/panty set is just GORGEOUS!!! I love the color combo.

Liana said...

Thanks, everyone! I love the soft colors, too.

MaryPat, They're as comfy as my favorite RTW bra, and in much nicer colors/fabrics than it's available in. Win/Win!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Well for someone who didn't even want to make a bra this is a pretty awesome set! :)

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful set! That's one thing I've never attempted to sew.

Anonymous said...

Wow I never thought about making a bra. Maybe I should then i would get one that really fits.It looks hard though.

Sigrid said...

Beautiful set Liana, the colors are very nice together.

Summerset said...

Another lovely set - I love the way the colors coordinate and that you made them work by dyeing them.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Beautiful ! Love both pieces.

Mardel said...

Gorgeous set Liana. I love the colors and it looks so lovely, and so nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Your sets are just amazingly gorgeous! Such creativity in the fabric choices and colors, and beautiful stitching. Definitely an inspiration, keep up the good work!

cipele-obuca.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Do you have any like that

Inkurv said...

Thanks you for sharing such info, If you want to buy bra online then you must buy Full Coverage Bra for Women Online from Inkurv.