Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Now It's Getting Silly - Pink Leopard
This fabric has been in my remnant area for about 2 years. I originally used it for a Marfy tank top, and I thought it would make cute panties. I had some wide stretch lace, so I cut the 3-piece hipster pant, and used the lace for the top band. The pair on the right is this pair.
Naturally, I then began to think how cute a matching bra would be. This is definitely pretty far on the wild side for me, but since it's pink, there was no way to say no.
I used my copied pattern, and for the different CF detail I copied a different RTW bra that had this same detail. It was fairly easy to do, as you simply cut your bridge shorter, fold the edge of the cup above the bridge to the inside, and stitch it to the channeling directly. Then put in a spacer piece.
In wearing it seems to act just as it would if the bridge were solid all the way up. The thing I realized after I'd already begun is that the channeling and underwire would have to fold into the cup rather than away from it. I thought there would be enough stretch in the cup to make this work anyway, and by the time I realized it, I was pretty far along, so I just went ahead, and it seems to be fine.
I used double-sided plush elastic with ruffles for the straps, narrow grosgrain ribbon bows, and powernet under everything but the lace.
After I finished the bra, I thought I'd better see if I had enough fabric left for a second pair of panties. Since I was using a wide stretch lace on the hipster style, I knew I was cutting 2" off the top edge anyway, so I thought I might eke it out. I ended up with a seam at CB and a seam at the side-front that I put a small daisy trim over. I angled the seam to make it a little more 'planned' looking rather than a necessity, which is what it was.
I haven't worn this set yet, so I can't say how it is over an entire day, but it seems to fit just the same as the others I've done, and I have to say I'm pleased with it, even if it is pretty silly. Sometimes silly is just right.