Saturday, February 28, 2009

Marfy 1640 Top Finished


Photo Link

We have 4" of snow on the ground, and I just finished a thin, summery top. I'm not usually this far ahead of the season, but it's getting close to time to order Marfy patterns from the new catalog, and I thought I'd better get with it and use one of the ones I already had that I hadn't tried yet. I'm very pleased that I did as I think it turned out quite well.

I was procrastinating on this because I needed to do a major FBA on it, and I was worried about the empire seam being unflattering anyway. Luckily, I decided to do a muslin-method to alter the pattern, and it turned out well. It gave me more of a real look at what the final effect of the changes would be than a flat pattern alteration.


You can see the lines of the pattern here. I ended up adding width to the Side-Front panel at the bustline, and at the CF. I added quite a bit of length as well, which would happen automatically with a regular FBA. Since I added width at the bustline at the side-front/front seamline, I needed to add width to the Side-Back panel too. I ended up taking some of the hip room out again, but only on the right side.

You can see the side and back views below.


Photo Link


Photo Link

The trickiest part of the construction was the neckline. They only give you a pattern piece for a ribbon to run through the casing, but I knew as soon as I saw it that it was going to need more than that to hold its shape, etc. I used 1" elastic which I secured to the back of the casing only at each end. I then ran 1 1/2" satin ribbon, doubled at the ends, through the casing over the elastic, and secured it invisibly through all layers. I may yet stitch the sides of the doubled ribbon together to make it work as a single layer, but I thought I'd try this first, as the stitching may make it stiff.

The buttons on the pockets and under the tabs are sewn on with backer buttons for strength. I can't imagine I'll ever be unbuttoning them, although they're perfectly functional. I did skip the tiny pocket bags under the tabs.


Photo Link

28 comments:

Vicki W said...

It turned out great!

Carolyn in AR said...

This is truly a gorgeous pattern -- great job on it. I, too, finished a summer top today while it was snowing outside.

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is so pretty! I am working on summer tops too. I think we are all tired of winter!

Rachel said...

That is really pretty!!

Lisette M said...

Your top is very beautiful, I love the design and the fabric you chose for it.

Kelley said...

I think 'quite well' is an understatement! It's gorgeous! The empire line in this top is VERY flattering on you and the fabric is to-die-for.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Cute top, Liana. I really like the fabric and the style. It's a great addition to your wardrobe.

Kathryn

Lisa H. said...

Bring on the warm weather! You are ready.This top is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love it !!! Beautiful blouse and such a warm sunshine impression when I saw the picture.
Now you make me want this pattern too. I need to try Marfy, maybe this summer when I have time for a challenge.

Claudine said...

What a great spring project! Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Perfect way to bring in March. Pretty, love the casing.

Elaray said...

Oh, how cute it that! Love, love, love the print. It really makes me think of spring and summer!

Anne-Marie said...

This is very summery. Again, you all my admiration for successfully going through Marfy's pattern. The neckline looks very tricky. Beautiful.

Mardel said...

What a wonderful spring project! I love the print and the pattern. IT will be such a cool cheerful thing to wear when the warm weather returns.

Christina said...

Wonderful blouse, and hopefully that pretty fabric will encourage spring to get to you a little sooner.

KayY said...

What a pretty spring project, even though spring seems a long way off still. I love the neckline treatment. Is the blouse gathered separately before the casing is applied, or are they gathered together via the ribbon/elastic?

Liana said...

Thank you all!

KayY, The neckline is gathered very slightly along the sides of the front only, and the rest of the gathering is done after the casing is on, via the elastic.

Patricia said...

It is a beautiful top. So fresh and Spring-y.

Meg said...

Love that fabric!

Omega said...

I love your blouse,it say welcome Spring!

Summerset said...

So pretty and a lovely sight for winter tired eyes!

Anonymous said...

Spring is in the way! Well done! This blouse was on my (to long ;-) Marfy list last year, but finally I didn't buy it... I must make one Marfy myself quick! Thanks to post this to quick my bottom ;-)

Anonymous said...

It looks great Liana! If you are looking for a wide variety of sizes and colors of satin ribbon, you should check out waymoreforless.com/giftpouches as they have great prices and quick shipping. I have purchased from them a couple of times now as I have completed a few projects of my own.

Vicki said...

Very pretty!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

is totally his style, Liana. fresh and elegant.

Anne-Marie said...

Today, I passed in front of The Bay, a big department store in Montreal, and they had 2 blouses in black in white with the same neckline detail. Very IN the indeed. Just wanted to let you know.

Liana said...

Ooh, thanks for letting me know, Anne! I'm not usually quite so fashion forward, so this is a thrill.

Ann Made Studio said...

Liana, your blouse looks beautiful. So pretty and fresh :)