Monday, October 06, 2008

Gedifra Vest


Photo Link - Click NEXT to see all photos.

Here's the finished Gedifra Vest I've been knitting in my spare time. It's a very quick project since it's done with a gauge of 1.75 stitches per inch. That kind of gauge lends itself to basic shaping, and this had interestingly shaped pieces to make up the vest, but I think it could be improved. I'd like it a little longer in the back and sides instead of angling toward the front points quite so precipitously. I didn't use the recommended yarn, Gedifra Highland Alpaca. Instead I substituted Rowan R2 Fuzzi Felt. I got the gauge perfectly, and I'm not sure if this has less body than the original yarn, but I doubt it's a lot different, since the original is 50/50 alpaca/wool, and alpaca is very, very soft. The Rowan I used is 58/16/20/6 Nylon/Wool/Acrylic/Alpaca. I would assume that wouldn't be softer than the Gedifra. I folded the collar double, under itself and tacked it down to give it a little more body, and to control it a little. It was pretty floppy, and awfully wide. You'll notice in the pattern photo below that the model is artfully holding the collar up. Now if it would stand like that by itself, that would be great, but at this gauge, I don't think that's likely to happen. Anyway, I'm generally pleased with this. It's a fun piece, and nice and cozy.



I want to thank everyone who commented on my lace skirt. Especial thanks for all the ideas and opinions. I wore the skirt to a music club meeting this afternoon, and didn't wear anything I had a photo of. I wore the olive Jalie Tee, and a longer slip that I made this morning accompanied by great trials and tribulations.

As always, it's a mistake to think that anything you do at the last minute is going to go smoothly. I don't know what was with my new machine, but I suspect pilot error. I was trying to attach the elastic, and all I got was major jamming in the bobbincase. I re-inserted the bobbin again and again, I re-threaded, I read the instructions. Finally it snapped out of it and ran like a dream. I took about 3 smooth stitches, and it stopped because the low bobbin thread light came on. So, I wound a new bobbin and found out I didn't know how to make it stop winding a bobbin in the middle when I saw it was taking all the thread left on the spool! So, I found a pretty good match of thread to finish. After that, it went quickly, probably because there was nothing else to go wrong. The slip turned out to be just the right length, and now I think I like the slightly shorter one better, although I didn't think I would. The shorter one pushes it just that much further away from that Mother of the Bride look that I really want to avoid. I think my look has a general tendency to lean toward formal/dressed-up rather than casual anyway, so I try to pay attention to it. I was glad I wore the thin top this afternoon however, as it was really warm in the room, and any jacket would have been too much.

When I got home, 3 nice things had come in the mail. The October Burda WOF magazine, my order from Pam at Sew Exciting Sewing Supplies, and a new knitting bag like my old favorite from the Nature Conservancy. It's not on their website but it's one of their "Join us" gifts. The Holiday Vogue Knitting came at the end of last week too, and there are some very nice things there.

10 comments:

Janene said...

This is so cute and something that you can wear to make so many different looks. I would need it a little longer to hide everything I could. Is that the same stitch that Ann Rowley used on her yellow jacket?

Mardel said...

That is really cute. I hope mine comes out as nicely. I want it short to layer with something longer, but I have a long torso issue which you are not plagued with, lucky lucky you.

I am using the recommended yarn it seems quite stiff now that I am knitting at the correct gauge. It may stand up by itself, but I will see soon enough. Looking at a picture and seeing how they styled it versus how it really is one of those fun (not always) parts of knititng.

Anyway, your looks gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, stylish jacket!! As always, you did a marvelous job.

Pam Erny said...

Absolutely lovely, Liana!

Pam, from ~Off The Cuff Style~

Linda T said...

Great vest. I wish I could really get into knitting, but that bug isn't very strong with me. I do love to see what others create!

Nancy K said...

Its really pretty. Good color for you too.

Diana said...

I love it and the colour too. I'm not a knitter. Too busy sewing stuff I don't need being a retired teacher.

Sheila said...

It looks so chic... very nice.

Margi said...

Do you use the interfacing from Sew Exciting Sewing Supplies? If so, what do you think?

By the way, I really enjoyed your shirt tutorial. I've just finished my first banded collar shirt, the Burda WOF from 08.07 with the gathered front, and was VERY happy with the results.

Take care.

a little sewing said...

Well, if knitting is contagious, I think I feel it coming on. That shrug is calling to me!! I think I will pop into a local shop to see how I can get started. I love it!