Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pattern Weights

 


I mentioned to my brother that if he had a chance, some of the metal scraps from his workplace would make really great pattern weights. Well, he found some very nice strips and buffed them smooth and here they are! The really neat thing is that they're stainless steel, so I don't have to worry about them corroding or rusting. They're heavier than they look, and I really like them. I've only had the little round ones that you see in the photo with them, and these are so nice for long pattern pieces.

 


He's also been trying to help me with some computer issues I'm suddenly having. (That's why it's been a while since I posted.) That's his field, and I'm probably going to have to get a new computer at this point, so he's searching for what I need. He's a pretty good guy!

I have been sewing a little bit, and am about to begin cutting out my coat since I finally found layout plan I'd made before ordering the fabric. I thought I was going to have to do it over, but I've been spending a lot of time filing lately, and going through the enormous crop of paper that comes into the house continually, and I ran across it. In a pretty logical place, actually.

I realized I'm really hurting for fall pants. I didn't need anything fancy, just everyday stuff, and I made a pair with my TNT pattern, adjusting slightly at the waist/high hip as per the tailoring book Claudine suggested, and I like the results very much. I used a stretch woven brown with pink pinstripe. As usual, the stretch part seems to cause problems at times. The back has some draping from the side hip down, which I thought was indicative of a lack of length there, but the front is perfect, and I couldn't figure how I was going to fix this. I wore them last night to choir rehearsal, and my friend Jane, the real expert diagnosed "baggy butt" and I think she's right. The pattern has a flat-seat adjustment already, which normally is fine, but with the stretch factor of the fabric, I think it needs more. I may end up with a stretch woven pattern and a regular pattern, which is okay. She suggested a diagonal fold from mid-hip to just below the crotch point, so I'll try that next time. For now, these are fine for every day, and no one is going to call the fashion police I'm sure.

I did side pockets on both sides, with a side zipper, and it worked just fine. I've usually done only a pocket on the non-zipper side before. I put a front stay in these because of the stretch factor and the pockets, and that was a real success. The bad thing is the fabric wants to crease rather easily. They're cute, though, and isn't that why we sew?
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Meg said...

Ooh, nice pattern weights. I feel a trip to Home Depot coming on...

luckylibbet said...

Ditto on loving your pattern weights. My current ones are small floor tiles from Home Depot, about $5, but something longer for those long pattern pieces would be wonderful. It's so nice to have sympathetic family members too!

Beth H said...

Your pants sound nice--I like the brown with pink stripe.

I agree, the pattern weights are great.

Anonymous said...

I've been using pattern weights like your new ones for a while now. I found the metal strips at a local hardware store that has lots of odds and ends. I also use metal washers for areas where those strips are too long. It's always fun to find uses for oddities in the sewing room!

kbenco said...

I am sure there is something like your new pattern weights in the shed! I will show your post to my DH and see if some can move into the house, thanks for the terrific idea.

Anonymous said...

Would love to see your pants, even if you aren't 100% happy with them. What was the book Claudine suggested? TIA, Sally

Melodye said...

Aren't grown-up brothers the best!

Claudine said...

I'm glad you like the Cabrera book. It's one of very few books that I continue to refer to all the time.

Patricia said...

I love your site and need help on a marfy pattern. I can't figure out how to sew godets into the hem of the skirt, Help

Anonymous said...

OK I Googled and cannot find the book mentioned by Claudine. Can anyone help? Liana, I'm so glad you are blogging again. I worry when I don't "hear" from you.