Wednesday, February 25, 2015

New York Trip Part V - Fabric (Mendel Goldberg)




Finally, the pièce de résistance.  I've been told for years that Mendel Goldberg was a magical place if you are in love with fabric, and Rosie took me to see it.  Well, you all were right!  We were lucky enough to be there when almost all of the new fabrics had come in, so we saw the stock at its most complete condition.  Wow, just wow!

Every designer you can think of was represented, especially every couture designer.  Of course there were things that I liked more than others, but the quality overall was exquisite.  Rosie took lots of photos, and I will share with you.

As you might have guessed, the first two photos are of the fabric that arrived on my doorstep.  I am so thrilled with them, and although there was choice enough to find fabrics for 20 different beautiful suit combinations, this one leapt to my eye.  The 'plain' fabric with the border texture is to be a skirt.  The border is pieces of fabric and yarns attached to the base fabric, and as the photo suggests, that border will be a few inches above the hem edge of a straight skirt.  Totally frivolous, yet somewhat restrained and severe.  Just my kind of thing.  The fabric to the left is for the jacket, and it's so much more beautiful in person I can't tell you.  The yarns it's woven with are gorgeous and of such a quality that you would think they were high-end hand knitting yarns.  There's a lot of gold in it and the selvedges are beautiful, and will be used as trim here and there.

Now, on to the other fabrics we saw and 'snapped'.
























Do you wish you'd been with us yet?

10 comments:

cidell said...

I gasped at the roses. Literally, gasped at my desk. Rosie is an absolute sweetheart.

Gorgeous Things said...

Yes! I was there in spirit. And thanks to technology. But I would have far preferred to be there in person with you and Rosie!

Liana said...

Cidell, There are actually 3 coordinating rose fabrics. I believe they are Dolce & Gabbana. The lace is a galloon, so lots of options for you. The black border would make a perfect sheath dress on the crossgrain, and it's made for that.

Liana said...

We would have been thrilled to have you there! Technology is better than nothing though. :)

a little sewing said...

just stunning.
That shop is now on my bucket list.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

That place always makes me gasp when I go there...glad you had such a wonderful time and the fabrics you chose were amazing!

Rosie said...

Cidell - you are precious! The rose fabric is indeed a Dolce & Gabana fabric straight off the runway and comes in three different choices as you can see from the picture. The water color print fabric just above the roses is a Chanel piece. Liana, I am looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Vicki said...

Wow, such beauties! Hope you get to make up your purchases soon :)

Unknown said...

wow, just read all the New York posts. wonderful eye candy. i hope to get here someday.

PJ White said...

This would have made me go insane with fabric lust.