All photos can be seen larger here.
I needed a costume for a party in August, and decided this homage to Emma Peel of the original Avengers would be fun. I'm not sure Mrs. Peel ever wore anything exactly like this, but surely something very similar in spirit. After all, it was the Mod 1960's.
This dress is made from Pleather from JoAnn's.
I used a Marfy sheath pattern (#1128) as my starting point, with some changes that are not really too drastic design-wise, although the look is quite different from the original here and here.
I've made this dress several times, and it's a very versatile pattern. This iteration has been shortened, the neck scooped, the back neckline changed to a very deep Vee, and the side zipper exchanged for a below-the-waist CB separating sport zipper.
You can see the back below. For ease of fitting, etc., and since it's only a costume, I decided that leaving the Vee open to the top of the zipper and exposing the back strap of my bra would not be a problem. It would be easy enough to put a modesty strip or panel across with snaps, and if I wear it again, I may do so.
The original design has a front jewel neckline with gathers in lieu of some of the dart shaping, and I should have rotated that fullness out before cutting. This did the trick though, and is kind of cute anyway.
You can see the bottom of the zipper below and the double row topstitched hem from both the inside and outside of the garment. The hem was turned up and stitched along the zipper while the zipper was inserted.
To the right you can see the CF waistline from the inside and outside of the dress. I took a tuck at the waistline between the front vertical darts. There is no give in pleather, and there was just too much fullness there.
On to the matching garter belt. Every 1960's heroine needs a garter belt. After all, it was before pantyhose made their appearance. Here it is closed and open.
The seams were stitched, then each seam allowance was topstitched down. This might have been overkill, but I wanted it to last, and to be very flat against the skin. I used the triple zigzag on the edges, again to make sure the edges were very flat. I had thought it would be fun to add some embroidery or some kind of embellishment to this, but I ran out of time.
I will leave you with 2 last dress photos. The side/back view, and the 'fun' shot. Many of you know that my sister takes all my best photos, and we were getting silly at this point.