I altered the pattern yesterday, doing a FBA and lengthening the dress 2". The sleeve length looks as if it may be fine, although I'll check them again with the dress on before I cut out the chiffon, which I don't have yet anyway. I'm using a chocolate poly matelasse that's really pretty nice. I cut it out and basted it all together (except the sleeves) tonight and tried it on. I realized that I forgot to fold out some of the length above the bust, but with this design, I can rather easily take a much deeper shoulder seam, and I'm not sure I'll even need to deepen the armscyes. I'll see. It's amazing how much difference it makes in the fit. Suddenly everything just slides right into place. Why I couldn't remember to do it first, I don't know, but perhaps I need to put up a poster with a list of the Required Alterations so that I don't have to rely on my memory. I was so worried about ruining the shaping of the pattern while doing the FBA that I think I just heaved a sigh of relief when it was done, seemingly without problems, and promptly forgot everything else I would normally do.
I am thinking of a plaid printed silk chiffon for the collar and sleeves.
I think with the plain, very dark brown for the dress itself, even with the matelasse texture, this might be a nice contrast.
It's so cold here now, 10 degrees as I write, that I had to make myself try on the dress, as it's not a warm dress. That may be something against it for this season. Well, either way, it will be done and ready to go when I want it.