Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicago Fabrics

The UPS man brought me a very nice box this afternoon, and of course my fabric from Fishman's and Vogue were inside.

From Chicago Fiberly 2011

These two pieces are from Vogue Fabrics.
The top one is a Silk/Metal tissue-woven in Dark Brown and Gold. It's almost like a gauze. I'm going to use it to copy an elegant shrug/stole worn by the soprano at the Chicago Symphony last week. It had one sleeve, then went across the shoulders and fell to the floor on the other side. Very simple, very dramatic, and what impressed me most is that she didn't have to keep adjusting it. It stayed put. I'm hoping mine will too.
The lower piece is a Seafoam Slinky knit. I got just enough to make a top. I love the color.

From Chicago Fiberly 2011

This is a Wool/Lycra Knit w/French Terry-like back. Both of the knits I got at Fishman's (this and the one below) are really nice, heavy-weight knits that will be perfect for pants. This is a british tan/dull tobacco color. The 'french terry' side has a twill effect.

From Chicago Fiberly 2011

The fabric in back is the other knit, it's a chocolate brown. Both sides are similar on this one.
The front fabric is a Prada Wool with a birdseye weave in a very Grayed Brown with a Pink thread added. I fell in love with this. It's going to become a jacket. Fishman's also had this in 2 other colorways. Charcoal with Lavendar, and Charcoal with Lime. They were very nice, but as you can tell, I liked this best.

I thought I was fairly circumspect in my purchases, but I think I got some beautiful things, which would have been a complete gamble if I had had to purchase them online, sight unseen. I think solid colors are the hardest to buy online, as it's so difficult to describe colors, hand, etc. to each other.

I have to say that going fabric shopping with Ann and Kay opened my eyes. I thought I was fairly proficient at telling fiber content by feel, but I am a pure beginner compared to them. I will be attempting to brush up my ability, but I don't think there's much chance of my catching up too far. Obviously the only answer is to shop with them again!

8 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

I didn't see either of the ones from Vogue Fabrics. They're both beautiful. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Fishman's purchases--both are simply gorgeous.

I thought I had a good touch too, but Ann and Kay have fine tuned fingers indeed.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You got some beautiful pieces! And yes I've fabric shopped with Ann and it is an eye-opening experience!

KayY said...

I'd go fabric shopping with you again! Just say when (and where)...

patti said...

You forgot to show your handbag find from JoAnn's!

gwensews said...

Ahhh, beautiful purchases. I don't know if I would have used such good control though!

SewingLibrarian said...

Liana, there's a favorable review and interview with Ricardo Muti in today's WSJ. It says of last Thursday's "Otello" the orchestra played with "extraordinary cohesion and style. " You might enjoy reading the complete article.
Linda

sdBev said...

Liana I agree these are lovely fabrics and can envision you in the Soprano's Shrug. I've been eyeing a terry-knit but didn't know how to use it. Thanks to your informations, I do now.

Bella said...

Beautiful fabrics! I have to ask you one question about buying fabric though. When you shop, have you already a particular pattern in mind (with pattern in hand) or do you take an "educated guess" as to how much you might need and then add some more "just in case". This was how I used to buy yarn for knitting, and I doubt anyone has such a collection of mismatched left overs as I do. I'd like to avoid this with sewing (limited stash space and all that...) !