Monday, March 30, 2009

Knitting for Others


Photo Link

Our neighbors will soon have a new baby girl, and I am very pleased to have finished this little sweater before she arrives. It has been a long time since I did any baby knitting, and it was fun. Talk about instant gratification. This pattern is the Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater by Carole Barenys. I saw this on Ravelry, and I really liked one version with ruffled edges, so I did that too. I used an easy-care acrylic yarn, Red Heart Ltd. Baby Econo in Sweet Dreams. The buttons are from my stash. I have LOTS of pink buttons.

I've also been working on my nephew's Xmas sweater, the Drops Cabled Pullover 59-6. I wondered how fast the pattern stitches would come back to me since I made 2 of these in 2007. Well, pretty fast. It's not really a complex pattern anyway, but it's nice to be able to do a few rows without looking at the pattern. Here's my progress so far.


Photo Link

I've been busy getting a new computer up and going, and it's finally about the way I want it. I still have some basic things to work out and programs to add, but it's definitely usable. The biggest headache so far was getting hooked onto our new wireless network. My brother finally suggested that I call the router company, and they got me going pretty quickly. Not sure what was wrong, and their explanation of what was wrong and what they did do not seem to "compute" to me, but whatever. I'm just happy it's running. It's fun to have a laptop. Now all I need to do is get everything transferred to this computer, give him his loaner back, get our old desktop repaired and running, and I'll be all set. It's no longer an urgent project at this point, so that helps.

I ended up doing an emergency pond cleaning tonight. One of the ponds had a filter that got out of whack tonight right when I was ready to start dinner so I could go to Sewing Guild. I ran out and quickly re-did it all, added bacteria, and crossed my fingers that it would be cleared up tomorrow or so. The only good thing about having it happen tonight is that it was warm, about 60, and anytime I have emergency pond work when it's above freezing and the sun is still up, it's a plus. Pond emergencies don't happen often, but they always seem like a big deal. I do think the ponds and the lovely fish and all the birds and wildlife they attract throughout the year are worth all the work, and really, once they're up and running, they're pretty self-regulating for the most part.

Oh, and my Marfy patterns came last week! Excitement. Now I need to make a plan.

8 comments:

gwensews said...

You'll love your laptop. I really cringe though, at the idea of having to reload programs on a new machine. Such a pain.

Your sewing guild--is it an ASG neighborhood group? My local group has rather gone astray--and turned into more of a quilt group, so I'm looking for another group that's more inclined to garment sewing.

Lory said...

Really cute sweater! Kudos. I can only knit scarves (a small tear rolls down my face as I say this) lol.

Hugs,
Lory

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

That little sweater is just downright adorable, Liana.

Summerset said...

That is the sweetest little sweater!

Rachel said...

I love that sweater. I am working on my second knitting project--a hat for my husband. I am working on a circular for the first time. Once I got through the problems I had learning the knit and purl stitches (there were tears shed), I started really enjoying knitting.

Liana said...

Thank you all!

Gwensews, It's a non-ASG guild, and we're definitely garment-oriented. Wish you were closer and you could join us! We have a really good time.

Rachel, Glad you got your stitches going. You'll love circular. I use the circular needles most of the time, whether I'm knitting flat or circular. Easier on the wrists. I've tried to comment on your blog, but it won't let me.

BeeBee said...

when we lived in Michigan, we had a pond. I feel your filter pain. It only messed up when it was very inconvient. Cold, raining or I was in a hurry. I loved listening to the waterfall, though. And we had baby fish one year.

Diana said...

Oh this is too sweet. Lucky little girl who'll get to wear this.