Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fisher Skirt


Link to All Photos

I finished Onion's Fisher Skirt, and while I like it, I don't think it's by any means my best style. It's interesting, fun to wear and terribly comfortable. It's somewhat ungainly at the top where the flange folds over the tied belt, and I cannot for the life of me figure out something flattering to wear as a top with it. I think I'm too rounded for this style. I tried belting it at the hip rather than the waist, and I didn't care for it. I'm not sure this will see the light of day very often, but it was fun to make. I keep thinking it would be a great gardening skirt...



I used a fabric which purports to be wool, and may even be wool or partially wool. I love the interesting texture, but as I noted previously, it wasn't going to show the seaming without emphasis, and that's what the topstitching is meant to provide.


Click here for a better view of the stitching.

I've been working on Alex's Drops Cabled Sweater some and am up to about 2" of ribbing so far. Another 3/4" and I can begin on the pattern stitches. But, I am going to quit for a bit and work on a baby sweater which needs to be done sometime in April. Not by the first, I hope.


I'll finish with the first crocus of the year. I saw them a couple days ago, but never remembered to take the camera out and take a picture. Aren't they cheery?

8 comments:

gwensews said...

Perhaps this is just out of your comfort zone? If you saw it on someone else, you may think differently. You're small enough to carry it off. I would try a top in the same color as the skirt.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

The skirt is very Issey Miyake-ish, Liana, and that's part of its intrigue. I love the way you played with the hem and the topstitching, adding your own designer elements. It's fun to see a different twist on a skirt.

Susan said...

What an interesting construction. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I like your skirt and find it quite smart. Perhaps a long sleeved skirt tucked into the waistline would be a good look for the top, but I like the one you're wearing.

Karen Karendee

Anonymous said...

Love your shorter hair cut. You're looking good and that skirt should be honored to have such a fine model.

Summerset said...

Hmm, it is interesting and different, although not what I'm used to seeing you wear. It does look comfortable and practical, so while you probably won't grab it everyday, you'll still get use out it. I think a close fitting top like the one you chose would look best - the purple is a nice contrast, too.

Anne-Marie said...

This is in deed a very interesting skirt. I love the final product.

Kate S said...

Great skirt _ I love it and think it looks good on you (like others said maybe just not what you are used to?). I have seen slightly similar aysmetrical style skirts in "boutiques" for $$$$$