I went ahead and ordered the lace I talked about in the previous post. Linda asked where I found it; it's from Lace Mart, and is their E040. I haven't received it yet, but I have to say the responses from Martha there to my dying question and to my subsequent order were exemplary in their speed and completeness. She told me she's absolutely sure it can be dyed, and that it's 80% rayon and 20% cotton. It sure sounds like it ought to dye, and if there is some variation in color between the two fibers, I would hope that it would only add to the depth of color interest. I also ordered dye from Dharma Trading, which should get here about the same time as the lace I hope.
Carolyn is also planning a Prada-esque lace skirt, as is RuthieK, both on Stitcher's Guild, where we've been discussing this a little bit. I'm planning to use the pattern from my large scale floral skirt I made this spring rather than a straight skirt, but I'm holding off on a final decision until I see what the hand of the lace is like after it's dyed. I am assuming after all it will have been through that it will be fairly drapey, and that will be great. I don't want stiffness at all. I know Carolyn's planning to underline her skirt with charmeuse, but I don't want any shine, so I'm thinking possibly tinted organza if the lace needs a little body, and something more like crepe if it doesn't. Or, I could go without any lining at all, as Prada has done, but I would wear a slip! I was really surprised to see that they just do a plain turned-up hem on this, but perhaps that's part of what makes it work as daywear. It's a shame to waste the pretty edge, but if it looks too "bridal" with the fancy lace edge as the hem, I may have to do a turned hem too.
I spent last night and this afternoon working on the Marfy jacket I started a while ago. It's just been hanging there waiting for a few things. I hemmed the jacket and the lining, gave it a good pressing, and started doing buttonhole tests. At this point, I'm thinking I probably should have done bound buttonholes, but I'm going to go ahead and do the hand-worked silk thread ones I originally decided on. Whatever I do isn't going to show much on the tweed side anyway, but it will definitely show on the twill side, so that's my focus now. After the buttonholes, all I have left to do is the edge-stitching, which is going to be by hand also. It's looking pretty good I think.