Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Vogue #8123 Progress
This is the embellished collar for the jacket I've been making from Vogue #8123, and it's going awfully well. I underlined the entire thing in pink flannel with cute undies printed on it. Since it's also going to be lined, no one will ever see the flannel, but it was a very nice weight and quality, and at a great price. I washed and dried it on hot to preshrink it before I cut it out, and it seems very stable. I basted it together and tried it on before I cut out the Melton, and it was fine. I finally got the jacket together this evening except for the lining and the collar, and I really like it. The flannel added just the perfect touch, as the Melton was just a little flimsy feeling for this jacket all by itself. The instructions given by Vogue certainly would not enable you to get the results that you should be able to achieve. I added quite a lot of interfacing. Besides the front facings and collar, I also interfaced the hem and sleeve hems, and used strips at the neck seam.
I embellished the collar tonight, and may add some beads or a little embroidery, but it's basically done. The lining should go quickly, and that will be that. I have a lot of the Melton left, and am thinking that a skirt would be nice. It's such a nice color. I was told that it's called Covert.
The kicker in the middle of all this productivity is that my Elna began sounding like it needed a little rest and attention last night, so I packed it up and took it to the repair shop this morning. They promise results in a few days. Meanwhile, I'm using my old Kenmore, which you can see here, and it's sewing through all these layers like a dream.