Monday, January 18, 2016

Style Arc Issy Dress with Gorgeous Fabric

 As we all know, Gorgeous Fabrics does live up to their name. Ann chooses the most beautiful things for us to try to resist. This is a pique knit print I ordered before Christmas but had planned to use it for spring.

Last week gave us some horrendously cold weather which is still with us, and I decided last night to begin a dress out of this cheery fabric, just to warm up a little.  Dresses seem to be what I want to wear lately, and I don't really have many winter dresses, and this is not one either, so obviously my planning is not the best.

 I've been wanting to try Style Arc's Issy Top as a dress since my top turned out pretty well.  (Apparently I did not blog about that top, although I like it a lot.)  I got this pattern as a free pattern-of-the-month from StyleArc with the purchase of the Zoe Pencil Skirt.  I have to say, the skirt pattern was not a winner for me.  I made it up in a nice wool, lined it, had high hopes for the interesting side seams, and it was really nothing spectacular.  However, the Issy Top has been great fun, so I feel like it turned out well either way.

As you can see in the line drawing, it's an asymmetric top with gathers on both side seams, and an unusual draped neckline that looks like it might be loose, but is firmly attached and stays put in this shape.










My dress is basically the top with 18" added to the length, and I just extended the side seam lines at the original angles.  I ended up doing one more gathered area toward the hem on the right side.



Generally, I'd have to say I like this, but I think it might be better in a plain fabric, so the ruching would show a little better, and perhaps read as "cool ruching" rather than what I am afraid may be its message, "wrinkly wrinkles".   The fashion-savvy will know the difference obviously, but the rest of the population may be flummoxed.

I think this is cute though, and I will probably wear it first for an early "Spring" luncheon in March.  Hope it's not snowing and sleeting then! 


10 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

I like it! Reads as ruched, not wrinkled, to me.

Sharon Sews said...

That IS cute! Does not say "wrinkled" says fashion-forward.

Liana said...

Thank you! Obviously, you two are Fashionistas. :)

a little sewing said...

The dress looks beautiful & the fabric is so cheerful. There is nothing wrong with those gathers - it reads as ruched to me, too!

Vicki said...

Love it. Very pretty.

Mardel said...

Beautiful. It definitely reads as ruched to me as well.

Liana said...

Thank you Vicki and Mardel!

Rosie said...

Liana, it is a lovely dress! Now where are you going all snazzy? :-) Miss you!

Sola ante el espejo said...

I love your dress! Kisses.
http://www.solaanteelespejo.blogspot.com.es/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, cleverpatterns for sewing ideas. Your machine makes such a beautiful stitch.