Sunday, September 04, 2011

Tan/Black Floral Swimsuit

Since my first swimsuit was a success, I had my eyes open for fabric for another, and found this at Hancock Fabrics.
From SwimSuit"
Kathi R had sent black FOE (fold over elastic) to me, so I had it on hand. It's only about half as wide as the lime green that I used on the other suit, but i think it's a good size with this print. I wasn't sure I was going to really like this fabric once it was made up, but I think the print is awfully nice.

I've been thinking about the problem of Spandex being a fairly quick casualty of the chlorine in swimming pools, and I've decided I'm not going to worry about it since even if I find 100%-polyester swimsuit fabric, as some of you wisely suggested, I'm still going to need something like a powernet lining in the bust area, and that's will have spandex in it anyway. At least for now I'll just figure they'll only last so long, and take it in stride. I'm sure 100% poly is the way to go, but without a powernet lining, which would defeat the purpose, it really won't be useable for me anyway, especially for water-aerobics.  At least they're quick to make, and take very little fabric, less than a yard, plus notions of course.

9 comments:

KayY said...

It's gorgeous Liana! What is the pattern?

Liana said...

Thanks Kay! I should have been clearer. It's the same as the last suit I made, which I copied from RTW Kathy Ireland suit. So, no pattern, except the one I have. :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect swimsuit, Liana. You look great in your suit and I love the fabric. You have beautifully come to terms with a suit vs chlorine pool. Make the suits, wear, enjoy, remake another. Absolutely no problem.

Karendee

Mary Beth said...

Love it, Liana!

Anonymous said...

You do look great and I LOVE your fabric choice.

AnnS said...

Liana, this is wonderful~ I didn't use FOE when I sewed mine, and I used the self-lining of the lycra fabric for the bra and lining. Is that heavy enough for you to forego the powernet and thus have a longer lasting suit? I did use the natural elastic, and my suits are self-lined plus a shelf bra.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

I like the way you've placed the print. The FOE looks great. You look great too!

Lisette M said...

Gorgeous suit, it looks great on you.

Liana said...

Thank you all! Ann, the lycra/spandex is the problem whether it's in the suit or the lining or the powernet, so I don't know that it would really make any difference. And no, I don't think a fabric without quite a bit of lycra would be enough for me unless I did a complicated bra-type construction, which would be more trouble than making another simple suit like this. It's a nice thought though. :)