Monday, June 13, 2011

Pink Top with Brown Polka Dot Trim

From


I saw a really cute crocheted dress pattern the other day from a Bernat vintage pattern leaflet called After Five and fell in love with it. Then I realized I'd be crocheting tiny motifs and attaching them to each other for the rest of my life, and decided to copy the idea but sew it rather than crochet. This top is what I came up with in my test.

From PinkTop


Here are the original photos for the dress.


I need to angle the lower binding more, as it reads horizontal now when worn. I would need to raise the neckline to more closely copy the original as well. Both of these things would be easy fixes, although the neckline change might require the addition of a closure.

I used my usual FSG#1960 Twinset pattern Top for this, although I think I might have done better with a Marfy tank pattern I like. I put a little side seam ruching at the hem, although you can't really see it in the photo.
From PinkTop
The polka dot fabric is a scrap I had on hand, and I think it turned out really cute.

I used the binding method given by Jalie in their #3024 knit dress pattern. Thanks Kay for noting these great instructions some time ago. I use them a lot now. Basically, you cut your binding 3x your seam allowance width, which will also be your finished width. This works for either binding on the right side or on the wrong side. The other side is always clean-finished.

From PinkTop

17 comments:

patti said...

Great-looking top! I look forward to trying that binding technique. Liana, I love pink and brown together!

Sally said...

You look fantastic! Wonderful job with the top. And glad to see you blogging again.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a really cute top! I love the contrast polka dot trim.

Ann Made Studio said...

I love your top. The polka dot trim is so nice!

Sheila said...

Lovely top and thepolka dot trim is a pretty touch.

SEWN said...

Such a cute top. I love it!

NancyDaQ said...

The original design is very pretty--unfortunately, you're right. It would take forever to connect all the motifs. How clever that you're using the basic idea for a sewn piece.

Gail said...

Very pretty top.

katherine h said...

I have bought crochet books in the past. The projects are cute, but you are right, it is much quicker to sew. I guess that is why I have never made them up.

The top is looking lovely. Cute trim.

Jacquie said...

Such a cute and interesting top!

Summerset said...

Great inspiration - love the finished top!

Alexandra said...

Cute top! I like your rendition even better than the original.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

That is one cute top, Liana. I love the color combo.

Pam Erny said...

This top is so nice...a wonderful interpretation of the inspiration!

..and the binding looks absolutely perfect. I like doing it this way too mmakes me wonder why I fiddled with any other method for so long ;)

Debra Martin said...

I always love seeing what you are sewing. This top is adorable. The pink and brown look great together!

Anne-Marie said...

This top is so charming ! I love the mix of colours and fabric. Very feminine in deed! The crochet could be a winter option in front of the tv ??

Sewingadicta said...

Beautiful top! The combination of colors and the perfect fit on you make sure this top wear for the summer. Excellent idea!!