Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hunting Socks & A Trip

Photo Link
Paton's Kroy Multi Sock Yarn and Premier Merit 100%Wool Worsted Yarn

I used the pattern for Heavy Socks from the Spin-Off Socks book to make two pairs of hunting socks for my brother. I had never thought of knitting socks for him, but I happened to ask him the other day if he thought his wife, my darling sister-in-law, might want some socks. She's always cold, and there's nothing nicer than wool socks if that's the case. He said he didn't know, but sadly said that he would like some. I felt terrible that I'd never even thought of it.

I've used the Socks book a lot, and all of the patterns in it have been good ones. This is a really fast knitting pattern. The hardest thing for me was that it calls for Bulky yarn, and I didn't really have anything suitable for a man's socks. The pair at the top is the second pair I made, and I like them best. I added a sock weight yarn to a worsted weight wool yarn for a prettier look. The pair below are a bulky yarn alone, and while they're okay, I find them a little thin for 'heavy' socks. He's planning to wear another pair under them with his boots for elk hunting in October.


Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick&Quick

The pattern calls for size 10 needles, but I'm using size 9, and you cast on 32 stitches, so you can see why they work up so quickly. Apparently a lot of people use leftover Lopi yarn for this pattern, but I've never knitted with Lopi, so no leftovers here.

I'm going to visit my sister for 2 weeks tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll be blogging. Maybe so, as she has lots of nice things planned. She's in Southern California, where Pearle and I used to spend the winters, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things have changed in 10 years or so, and to seeing some favorite places again. I have The Huntington and The Getty high on my list, along with the L.A. Arboretum and Descanso Gardens. Naturally we'll be heading for a few fabric and yarn shops as well. Her LYS is Yarn Lady in Laguna Hills, and I'm looking forward to it. I should say that when I was last there, the Getty Museum was only in Malibu, so it will be interesting to see the new one. Big plans, and I'm hoping we'll be able to do at least some of the things on my list, personal energy permitting. Perhaps we'll just end up doing a lot of basking in the sun instead. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

7 comments:

Dawna said...

Those look so warm! Very nice work! I am a crocheter that always drools over the awesome things I cannot knit. LOL

marisa said...

Have a fantastic trip!! Our weather has been great. If you have the time, you must check out the Fashion District in downtown Los Angeles! Lots of fabulous fabrics and really good prices :)

Summerset said...

Great socks - they look warm and wool is perfect for being outdoors. The effect you got by using two yarns is really nice, too.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Lucky brother, Liana, to have such a great sock knitter in the family. They look so nice and warm.

Traveling mercies as you go to visit your sis. Enjoy every minute in sunny California!

Claire S. said...

Your brother's new socks look so cozy ! Enjoy your visit with your sis.

judi.0044 said...

Hope you can make it to Michael Levine in the Garment District. Mood is fun too but at any rate - enjoy your time and I hope it's a bit cooler than it has been.

Carrie Gonzales said...

Liana, there is a wonderful little yarn shop in Chino Hills that I like, that's worth a visit, if you head north of Laguna a ways: http://www.velona.com/ They have lots of interesting tools, along with fabulous yarns.

It's been weirdly hot and and cold here, so I hope the weather settles down into something more normal for your visit. Do try to get to the Huntington. It's one of my favorite haunts here.