Thursday, May 13, 2010
Olive Green Lingerie
I've had this bra partially done for some time now, and finally was able to find time to finish it up and make a few pairs of panties to go with it. The lace and findings are all from Fabric Depot. I used foldover elastic for the straps as well as the upper edge, and it worked very well. Since I certainly do not need stretchy straps, I inserted twill tape into the straps, and also into the upper bridge piece. It's covered with 3 small ribbon roses, but it's the same folded elastic as the straps.
I dyed the stretch lace, picot elastic, closures and powernet lining. I had enough of the stretch lace to do a waistband on one pair of panties, and I used the foldover elastic for another. The duller green pair is actually a very wide piece of lycra with knitted-on stretch lace at the top and bottom. It was billed as stretch lace, but it's not very lacy. I like it, though. I realized while sewing them that I should probably have used it for the front only and made 2 pair, instead of piecing the back with the bra fabric. It's not quite as striking a demarcation in real life as it appears in the photo.
The print pair is a very soft mesh knit that I made a Jalie summer top from. I'm planning a camisole from the scraps as well. I would recommend this type of fabric for anything next to the skin, including nightwear. The stretch lace band is the same pattern lace as the dyed green, but this came this color in my Fabric Depot lace bundle.
You can see a closer photo of the bra below, and
more photos here.