Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Graceful Knitting

I still haven't done any real sewing yet, just a little mending, which I always think is a good 'gateway' back to full-sewing mode. However, I have been knitting. I finished a hemp lace shell before Pearle died, but I still haven't take photos of it. I have finished and have photos of another knitted top. It's called Graceful.
Photo Link

This is from The Knitter magazine, a UK publication that I happened to see at the local Barnes&Noble. It doesn't have a lot of patterns, maybe about 10, but they are almost all something that I would consider making. I am very impressed with this issue anyway.

Here's my version.

Photo Link

I used Bendigo Rustic in Agate, which is kind of a grayed purple. It's a DK/worsted weight, and the pattern calls for size 10 needles, so it goes very quickly. It took me about a month, not working too steadily. The thing I would emphasize is that it requires attention to the chart, because you will be doing pattern stitches on all rows. Most lace patterns have you just knit or purl back on the wrong side, but this is a little tougher. I made a larger chart, which helped a lot since otherwise I was having to really stare at it to make sure I was looking at the right place before I went on. The sleeves were a breeze since the more complex pattern is not on the sleeves.


Photo Link

I love the way the sleeves come down over the back of your hand. It's the same thing that happens at the bottom of the sweater body, and it's just a function of the pattern stitches. I tried to make this longer than I usually do, and I like the length. I will definitely need to wear sometthing under it, as the lace holes are quite large.
Photo Link

Here are a few more photos of the stitch pattern, with an envelope between the layers of the sweater so you can see more clearly.

Photo Link
Photo Link

It's snowing here and very cold. We're up to about 8" and it continues. Soon the wind is supposed to pick up and blow it all around, and they're even giving us a blizzard warning. Unfortunately it's going to stay cold for at least a week now, so the snow will stay around a while.

29 comments:

Lisa said...

Liana,
The sweater is lovely and lovely on you.

My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Jen said...

Liana, that sweater is beautiful. Welcome back to blogging. Hugs, Jen.

KayY said...

Knitting is so beyond me - I can only admire it. That is one amazing sweater!

Rhoto said...

Liana, what beautiful lace knitting!! Blizzards are also a good time to snuggle into some creative knitting/sewing, eh ;)
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Rachel said...

The sweater Graceful is beautiful!!!! I still haven't tried lace knitting yet, but it is on my horizon.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work as usual and it looks lovely on you. I'm so glad to see you back posting. Sally

SewingLibrarian said...

Liana, I love the sweater, and it's good to see you back at your blog. Stay well - and warm!
Linda

patsijean said...

I am glad to see you posting again. I have wondered how you have been, as I know how hard it can be to lose someone.

The sweater is beautiful. Knitting is something I could never do. Crochet, yes back in the 70's, but never knitting.

It's been awhile since I have been through a blizzard--since I moved from Michigan to Tennessee. I used to think they were great fun, but after 30 years down here (I still think summers are too hot) I am not sure how I would deal with them now. Still, 33 degrees and raining feels colder than 28 degrees and snow.

gwensews said...

That is some awesome knitting. Wow! And, it fits--even better!

elizabeth said...

Beautiful-and so you! Nice work.

BetsyV said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous sweater!

becki-c said...

Everything that you make looks so perfect! You are such an inspiration.

Vicki said...

Gorgeous. I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were. Glad to see you are posting and creating again.

Mardel said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous sweater. Looks fabulous on you. We have snow today, but not quite so cold yet.

Summerset said...

It is good to see you again! The sweater is beautiful; the lace pattern is a really lovely one.

We got a little over 8" of snow today. I just got in from snowblowing.

Rebecka said...

The sweater has so much style and it looks great on you!!! What a beautiful sweater. I really wish I could knit. That's something on my to do list.

Claire S. said...

What a beautiful sweater !

Welcome back, it's nice to see you posting again.

susan said...

It's so nice to have you back. God bless.

Sheila said...

Beautiful sweater, especially the lace detail.

Karin said...

Nice to have you back!!!
That lace pattern is one of my favourites, I think it´s called "frost flower" beautiful name too!
I used it on a wrap cardigan for the wrap part and the hood. One of my favourites and the pattern is so fun to knit when you realize how it´s constructed.

Susan said...

Your knitting project came out absolutely beautiful. I'm sure you will be back to sewing when you feel ready. Hang in there!

Lisette M said...

Your version is very beautiful. I also discovered The Knitter on one of my visits to Joann, I really like every project!

Anonymous said...

Pattern on both sides - that is tough! I always think the easy row is like taking a breath of air before diving back under water. You did a beautiful job.
I also like the longer length on you.
KathrynT

Olivia said...

Lovely to see you back! I wish you only the happiest of times.
you are so fast with your knitting. Unbelievable! A lovely choice..

Olivia

Maggie said...

You projects are simply beautiful. I know the holidays must be difficult for you, so I'm wishing you well during this season. Take care.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Beautiful sweter Liana. My best wishes for the Christmas holidays and also for the new year.

Greetings, Paco

Tracy said...

Beautiful sweater, I wish I could knit. So glad your back:)

kanishk said...

I also discovered The Knitter on one of my visits to Joann, I really like every project!

Work from home India

Little Hunting Creek said...

What a beautiful sweater! And it looks great on you too. Happy New Year!