Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pattern Work

I'm beginning to alter the pattern for a Marfy dress I'm going to make. It's from the new 2014/15 catalog, #3507, and as soon as I saw it in the catalog,I knew I had to have it. I've been thinking if a neoprene dress since a trip to Chicago with Mardel. We saw some wonderful examples at Barney's, and when Elliott Berman had some, AND it's their 50% off birthday sale, I simply had to get the fabric. Here's the pattern as it comes,
partly unfolded,
and laid out to check.
Pattern alterations are never any fun. We would all like to just have the pattern come out of the package perfectly sized for us, ready to cut. Well, at least in my case, that's never going to happen. I will shorten above the bust, enlarge the bust, do a swayback alteration which will add a CB seam, and probably enlarge the sleeves slightly, as they are exactly my size now, with no ease. It would be okay for this fabric as is, but I think a little ease it's a good thing generally. Wish me luck! I'm trying an app that lets me blog from my phone, so I'm hoping it will mean more posts from me.

Thanks to becki-c, I now have the correct pattern illustration, too!

9 comments:

sdBev said...

This is going to be lovely; especially with your figure. I can agree that I don't just love to do alterations. But slowly, I'm beginning not to hate them or feel tortured while doing them. Maybe someday they will be fun?

becki-c said...

I love this one, isn't this pattern number 3508? Love the buttons and the collar. The pockets are much more flattering than the other one.

Liana said...

You're right! I must have taken the photo after the page flipped over or something. Guess I didn't look closely enough before I posted. I thought it looked like buttons, but I am actually making 3507. I'll have to correct the photo.

Liana said...

Thank you for the very kind words! And I can only hope they become fun. Sometimes I don't mind as much as others, and actually I think it's the thought of them that is worse than the actual process.

velosews said...

Getting the fit right for such a gorgeous make is always worth the effort. People will notice the fit and how great you'll look.

becki-c said...

That's good Liana, I was afraid that you had ordered the wrong pattern. I've done that before. I like the pockets on 3508, but the collar on 3507 so I'm still torn.
This will look fabulous

Mardel said...

Oh I love that pattern, especially the seam detail and the collar. Pattern alteration is always a chore, but having something that fits, wonderful.

Jane M said...

The collar on that dress is fabulous. I have five or six fairly standard alterations when I try out a new pattern. I have to gear myself up mentally but then it's fun and so much easier move forward. I have two new dress patterns in mind for the summer so thanks for inspiring me.

Liana said...

Thanks everyone! I just get all worked up on alterations. I start with a pattern that fits in the shoulders and upper chest, and I know I have to increase a lot for the bust, and I end up with some kind of weird looking pieces sometimes, but I have to just trust myself and do a muslin. It usually works just fine. I'm lucky in that once I increase the bust, that takes care of the hip area too. I don't have to do much to the back at all, other than the swayback alteration and shortening the armscye area to match the front and sleeve alteration. I usually have to lengthen the sleeves as well, but that's a given. I have long arms!