Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Coat Buttons

I finished my coat on Saturday night, except for the buttons and buttonholes. I had determined that I wanted to do hand buttonholes, and I'd tried to choose buttons some time ago with a swatch of fabric, but I just couldn't decide, and so I waited until I could take the coat with me to the button shops. I knew I wanted something rather unique, but which didn't take attention away from the entire garment, but complimented it. It was also hard to be sure of the right size until I could see them on the coat


Photo Link

I am very pleased and rather surprised with my choice. I actually had two of these buttons already, and had thought I liked them a lot with this. Of course I had no idea where I had found them, or even when I had bought them. Amazingly, there they were at Sew Creative, so I bought two more. I will have to get an extra next time I'm there, but I thought I had three at home, so only bought two more.

I think these look a little like Jules Verne flywheels or something. Very engineered, anyway. I also bought another set of buttons just in case, but these were definitely it.

I have 2 of the buttonholes done at this point, and will finish the final two tomorrow I hope. So far, I'm really pleased with the coat, and I can't wait to show it off in its completed state.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh a "perfum coat" !
The buttons are a very nice choise for this fabric.
Just seeing them on the coat, your pict remind me my perfume box (a black and withe zebra box with the well-known square bottle with the mowing propeller of an aircraft... it's "vol de nuit" from Guerlain).
The funnyest is that I never have think of it about your coat fabric before seeing your pict today with the buttons.

Miaaa

Shannon said...

Those buttons are super cool - can't wait to see the finished coat!

Anonymous said...

I really like those- such a distinctive design, and very "Jules Verne" in a good way :-)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Oooohhhh I sooooo like interesting buttons and these are distinctive enough to add interest but not take away from the coat's glory!

Mardel said...

Oh lovely buttons and a perfect complement to the coat.

Summerset said...

Very unique and interesting buttons. I think they compliment the coat perfectly.

luckylibbet said...

Liana, you're turning "steam punk" on us! Yes, they are Jules Verne in feeling and they absolutely are the right choice for this coat. Thanks for giving us a blow-by-blow account on the construction... very informative.