Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Duct Tape Dressform

OR:
How I Spent My Thanksgiving Vacation


Photo Link

Actually, the title refers both to the form and the top I have on. It's another of the FSG1960 tops I've been doing lately. This is a nice, soft knit-back fleece I found. I just about froze to death on Thanksgiving evening at my parent's home and knew I was going to be spending a lot of time there in the next several days. Also, I was the only one who was cold, so I went home in the evening and made this top, and it's just what I needed. In this photo, there's a dusty streak near the bottom, but I was moving things around the basement and apparently didn't notice. So, you get to see the real me.

The form was very kindly wrapped by my sister, who was here for the holiday. I think she did a beautiful job. It's very true, especially in the shoulder/bust area. The midriff/waist/hip was bigger than I measure, probably because I had to breathe while we did this, so we made some changes. The shape is still very good. We extended the form one tape-width or so below the rear, onto the leg. You can see how that worked out. I think it was probably a good idea.

I am rather stunned to see just how crooked I am, but we really checked and looked and it is just like me. Oh well, better to know than not, I guess. Here's a close-up of just the form. I'm leading a form workshop in December for my local sewing guild, and I'm glad we did this first. It's going to be interesting to see if everyone else is as pleased with their results as I am with mine.


Photo Link

14 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Liana,your form looks sooooo well done. Amazing....it really does "look" like you. You and your sister did a great job, you must be so pleased. A fitting "buddy":)
I'm looking foward to making mine...I'm on call this week/weekend so I will have to wait till next weekend. I will share my results too :) Thanks for sharing. Ann

Ann Made Studio said...

Liana,I forgot to mention....
your top looks really nice too...so warm and cozy :)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a very interesting process...I don't know though if I actually want a "true" replica of me! *LOL* Having a Fittingly You dressform is bad enough...glad you and your sister were able to get it made up. How is it standing?

La Pluma said...

I JUST had mine done too. Since I have more flesh than you do, mine turned out smaller around the torso. I was breathing (though shallowly at the end which might explain the mini-panic attack!) but have more flex to compress. I'm thrilled to have my form and hoping it will make this incredibly new hobby of mine a littel less of a bumpy ride.

I faithfully read and thoroughly enjoy your journal. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is something I really want to do some time. My bone structure is smaller than my dressforms', which is very frustrating as I cannot use it as a fitting tool. I just need to get the guts and ask my husband to help me with it. It must be so creepy to see one's double like that, though, and you were brave to do it!

Unknown said...

Your top is beautiful by the way! Great job.

Vicki said...

What a great dressform. You and your sister have done a great job. It is so smooth. Your neck and shoulder area look well formed. I really need to redo mine as my neck and shoulders are not perfect. My dummy's hips and waist are smaller than me somehow too.

So yours is fab for a first go. I wish I could come to your class.

Nice top too! Looks comfy and cuddly.

Anonymous said...

I love the knit top. I am freezing too, LOL. Where did you find that neat fabric. I need to find some online sources as all the fabric stores here are disappearing or going to craft/quilt only.

Thanks
Oleqwilter@aol.com

Phyllis T. of Knitgirlll06 said...

I love how your form came out. I did one also and I'm looking for the right fixtures to put it on but yours has given me an idea. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

The girls have dropped on my duct tape form and I wonder what you have done, if anything to support them in your form.

Anonymous said...

To add to my comment above, I never had the definition you have under the bust, and your shoulder underarm fit is much better than mine. How did you do this if you don't mind sharing.

Cennetta said...

Liana, thanks for sharing this experience. It turn out really nice. I love your top too.

I've been thinking about doing a dress form too; It would be easier to work through my many alterations. Please do share your teaching experience.

Thanks,
Cennetta

Anonymous said...

Hi Liana,

I had to smile when I read how shocked you were at seeing the asymmetry in your dressform. This happened to me too, but in fact I an not so asymmetrical as the model -

I think they tend to cave in or warp a bit in the process. Like yours, one of my shoulders is higher than the other, but not as much as the model's.

Regards, nicky

Anonymous said...

Very well done. I've always wanted to make one. Can you recommend where I can learn to make one or do you have tips?