Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Marfy Cape is Finished


Photo Link
Yesterday I finished the Marfy cape I've been working on. I'm really quite pleased with it. It's a simple design, and yet the finished product has so much style, and the details are so nice, that it was well worth making. I plan to wear it a lot this winter, as it's going to be really warm. The lining, a printed poly moleskin, is very light in weight, although being polyester, it should be warm, but the wool face fabric is heavier than I thought it would be. It's fairly loosely woven of large threads, but the cape is quite heavy. It's a great shape to wear over almost anything. It has a vintage feel to it, yet at the same time it looks very up to date with many of the things we saw on the runway for Fall.

The very large button on the front is ceramic with a rakú finish. It's 2" across, and I thought I'd prefer large covered snaps for the actual closure rather than a buttonhole that large, and I covered both halves of the snaps according to the fabric they were sewn to.

Photo Link

Here it is with the snaps fastened.

Photo Link

I used Pam's (Sew Exciting) Pro-Woven Standard, a non-fusible interfacing in the collar and pocket bands. The pockets themselves were sewn to the jacket front by hand after they were constructed. I just love the shape of them! Almost the last thing I did was to resew the pockets by hand, catching the lining so the garment hangs together better when you put your hands in the pockets.

I also hand prick-stitched the edges of the cape. I thought it would look better than understitching, especially when the cape is open. I used a variegated cotton machine quilting thread from YLI called Mango, which matches the colors in the fabric. I like the way it shows, but not aggressively, and in some places almost disappears when the right thread color is on the right fabric color.


The sides are stitched together at the point where the buttons are attached on the front and back. You can see the shape of the cape, and the way it works here.

Photo Link

I like the collar best standing, but it also folds down.
You can see all the photos here.

One last plus is that I appear to have enough wool left for a straight skirt, my favorite. That should make a fun ensemble this winter.

25 comments:

Lisa Laree said...

wow! that is very, very kewl!

touran said...

That is so beautiful, the color is like butter.

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful Liana. You always manage to zero in on some spectacular shape or style that I would have missed and turn it into a fabulous garment. Once again, you have made something special.

renee said...

Liana, that is so beautiful.

Lorna said...

So classy ... Your gloves are a perfect finishing touch! As soon as I get another pair of pants for work finished, I will have to get my cape done! I will have to think on the lining, though.

Anonymous said...

It is very classy! Your sewing and finishing on this one is perfect.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

That cape is amazing. I have been a little put off by capes this season - since I've worn them 2x already in life - but yours has a little of a jacket feel to it. Very, very, nice! Thanks for all sharing all of the construction details, that was interesting to read!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cape. I think it is designed to be a winner especially if you have mild winters. You did a very nice job on all of the finishing details. Congratulations!

LauraLo said...

Wow. That cape is so beautiful. So ladylike and chic and the colour looks absolutely great on you!

patsijean said...

Oh, Liana, your cape is really quite beautiful. I made two capes for fall/spring dog walking and they are quite mundane compared to yours. Well, they actually are mundane, yours has style and flair.

Geek Sewing said...

It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I'm gobsmacked. Your cape is beautiful. Well done.
Jan

Anonymous said...

Truly a stunning garment. It has a most elegant look, but it also seems like it would be a lot more easy to wear and control in windier weather than a typical cape. Brava!

Shannon said...

That cape is so chic. I love the pockets!

Vicki said...

Liana, great photos showing the cape details so well. You have done a beautiful job. A skirt in the moleskin would be nice too if you have any left.

NancyDaQ said...

Really nice cape! Liana, you look so chic. Congratulations on a great looking effort.

Cherie said...

What a wonderful garment. the word "cape" hardly seems to do it justice. I really love the shape, and it is so pretty in the soft colors in lieu of the usual black. So very classy!

Anonymous said...

fabulous as usual Liana. I thought it was a jacket on first sight. I wish you had photographed the back view though.
Thanks for sharing.

Pam Erny said...

Absolutely STUNNING!

Pam from ~Off The Cuff Style~

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! Liana, I sent you a PM about the skirt. :)

Sugar

Anonymous said...

Liana, your sewing is absolutely exquisite. You look wonderful in that garment, in fact, ALL your garments are so well constructed; I'm extremely impressed, and very
priviledged to be allowed to peek into your sewing room and see the results of your efforts.

Anonymous said...

This is just gorgeous! Enjoy the wearing.

Anonymous said...

Liana, You look stunning in your new cape. I, too, have been a bit put off by the capes this season, but this is truly elegant! Beautifully done!
Nancy JC

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful :)
www.domestichaven.wordpress.com

Cennetta said...

Beautiful!