Tuesday, December 13, 2005

More Pants



Well, I've been making some pants. I love my Double Burda pattern, but wanted to add a pocket, preferably an inseam pocket.
I've always liked the one used on the Great Copy Classic Pants, and so I used it, correcting the side seam shape to match this pattern. I think it turned out pretty well. I only put one on the right, as the zipper is on the left, and it would add quite a lot of bulk there to add a pocket too. I've been buying fabric for pants for quite a while in the certain knowledge that I would be needing and making pants again in the near future. Well, maybe not quite as near as I'd thought, but still, one always needs pants.

I'm fairly pleased with these, and I like the new waistband treatment I tried. It's detailed on this page of Pam's Off the Cuffwebsite. She calls it The Comfy Waistband, and it is very comfortable. I did it with a zipper and darts, so not nearly as much gathering as she is getting with a regular cut-on elastic pants treatment, but still a little bit, and it gives a really nice, smooth look. Almost what I've seen described as a Hollywood waist pant, and it does give that long look.



The dark green pair I made first actually have a lowered waist, and I like them very much too. They're dark enough that photos don't really work too well , except the pocket close up.

I plan to make these again in more wintry fabrications. I have a very nice light-cognac wool, with a matching rayon/lycra knit for a Tee, which will probably be next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sewing and knowledge of patterns is impressive. I really enjoy reading about what you've accomplished. Can you tell me please what "double pants" are? Thank you. Dawn

Liana said...

Thank you Dawn!
I have melded 2 different Burda pants patterns together to get just what I want, and so I call the pattern "Double Burda". The upper part is from Burda 8660 (flat front with wide leg), and the legs are from an OOP (out of print) Burda trouser pattern with pleated front, but a more classic leg width and shape.