Friday, August 06, 2010

Marfy #1128 Roses & Caramel Finished


Photo Link (The link will take you to the first photo in the group, then you can click through on Next to see all of them, larger if you'd like.)

I finished the Roses & Caramel dress last night, and I have to say, I'm very pleased with it, and especially with the fit. I've never had any luck with this style of dress, until this pattern, and it's fun to have one actually fit me, and my shape. I do begin to think that perhaps this style is not my most flattering though, as it clearly reveals my very short-waisted figure, rather than disguising it a little bit, as I usually try to do. I do have one excuse though. I still am not able to stand up completely straight, and so I'm bent over at the waist enough that it shortens that area even more than usual. That's my story anyway. I can't wait until I can really stretch again.


Thank you Mardel, for the fantastic fabric! I really love it.


I used Roberta Carr's instructions for Bias Facings on this dress, and since the matelassé is fairly thick, I used a silk crepe de chine for the bias strips. I thought the colors went together fairly well, and it was scrap I had left from the contrast for my first Marfy suit, so that was fun too. Carr says that this kind of facing is very soft, and gives very little support. I would agree, but in this case, the fabric has plenty of body, it seemed like a good choice, and I have to say I like the finished effect. It's a lot of hand sewing, but I like handwork, and it didn't really take too long. Here's a shot of the facing inside the front neckline, and a close-up.




You turn your edge over, hand baste near the fold, then measure the edge, and attach a same size bias strip near the fold, RSU, with the edge turned under. Then press and shape carefully so the other edge fits, and stitch it, turning the edge under. Remove your basting, and you're done. Very soft and flexible, and very comfortable against the body.

I had to include a photo of my invisible zipper. You can see the front dart on the left.


And of course, most important of all, The Shoes.

It's going to be a very hot day tomorrow (93, with high humidity) and I don't know if the wedding is in an air conditioned church, so a cotton dress will be perfect. Now to go wrap the gift.

I'm really pleased with how this dress turned out, and this is the kind of dress I could imagine wearing all day with perfect comfort, which is always a plus. I can hardly wait to do another one, and summer is moving right along, so I'd better hurry,or it will be back to sleeves, which I guess would be okay anyway.

I want to thank everyone for the very kind hair comments. I'm really thrilled with the new 'do', and it's nice to know you like it too.

26 comments:

SewingLibrarian said...

Beautiful dress, Liana, and you look great! Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Karin van D. said...

I think you look lovely in this dress, nice work! I hope you'll have a great wedding.

becki-c said...

looks stunning as always.
It is so good to see you sewing!

Sofie said...

Hello, I've just stumbled on your blog and you make some lovely things. Your lingerie is divine! I'm sorry to hear about your sweetheart and hope the wedding you went to was great. You look great in that dress. www.sewdarntired.blogspot.com

Mardel said...

The dress is beautiful and you look lovely in it. I think the style is flattering on you and I love the square back neckline, which is very modern. I don't see that this accents anything in a bad way; yes you are shorter waisted, but the dress flatters your shape and emphasizes the long lean legs.

And of course the color of this fabric is perfect for you and I am so happy it worked out so nicely.

Have a great day.

gwensews said...

You look awesome in that dress. And your shoes are--delicious!

Shannon said...

Dress - gorgeous!
Shoes - gorgeous!
Hair - gorgeous!

I couldn't love this whole look more if I tried.

Gail said...

Yes, I think Shannon said it all!

SEWN said...

It's beautiful and very flattering. I love that fabric. And your bias silk facings are perfect! Gorgeous dress.

Michelle said...

Great dress! The fabric is fantastic!

Sally said...

You look lovely. Gorgeous work, as usual. Hope the church is airconditioned and you don't swelter. Thanks for showing us the finished product. And those SHOES! I never in my life could wear something with such high heels. Anyway, again, everything is lovely!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is soooooo beautiful! Well everything is...the dress, the shoes and especially your new hair cut! I'm just loving how this looks on you!

May said...

Liana, how elegant you are in the rose dress! And the heels are perfect for the dress. Certainly, you will be receiving a lot of compliment from your friends. Congratulations.
May

Sheila said...

I LOOOOOVE the dress and it looks FABULOUS on you... and the shoes are Fierce. Have a great time at the wedding.

Nancy K said...

Gorgeous dress and shoes. I also love your hair. Very flattering look.
I'm going to go pull out my Roberta Carr book right now and take a look at bias facings.

a little sewing said...

What a success. I didn't realize it was a matelassé until I studied the close-up photos. What a wonderful combination of qualities for this dress - the nice body with the beautiful colors & print. Such a nice choice for that pattern. And I agree with the others - this style flatters you. The back view is especially sharp. Enjoy wearing this - it is perfect for a summer wedding.

Ann Made Studio said...

You look fantastic! The dress is gorgeous. It fits you perfectly.

You look wonderful in your new do.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

An amazing dress, Liana. You look absolutely smashing in it.

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

You look great! The total look is very elegant and sexy, a winning combination! A terrific return to sewing.

Shelly

Vicki said...

Love the hair do! And the dress is very flattering. Cute shoes too :)

Karin said...

Liana! That hair is so gorgeous!
Have a great time at the wedding in that great dress.

senaSews said...

Beautiful dress. Very nice and elegant!

Summerset said...

You look amazing! The hair, dress, the shoes - it all works for you! I hope you had a great time.

Diana said...

You look really lovely in this dress and I think it's very flattering!Love those shoes too.

Christy said...

the dress is beautiful and that haircut is gorgeous.

JustGail said...

I'm soooo far behind reading your blog! You look great in this dress, and the new hair. And the new shoes. I'm glad you are on the road to recovery from the surgury, it takes a while to get the abdomen muscles back to work like they used to.