Saturday, April 30, 2005

Organizing!

I remember reading somewhere that the truly disorganized just adore office supply stores, paper, notebooks, etc., so I had fun this week as I purchased 4"x6" cards and a cardfile for them. Yes, I am finally making a file of all my fabric. I was pretty sure that I had more fabric than I thought I really did, and it's actually a little scary just how much I do have. I'll see later if I'm brave enough to add up all the yardage and see what the awful truth is. It's going pretty well though, and it's nice to get things into sort of a good storage distribution too. Things had gotten a little jumbled, and hard to find.

In the cardfile I'm sorting by Knit or Woven, and then by color. I have fabric in very large drawers, and in some large, clear plastic tubs. They're semi-separated by color family and/or fiber. Not as well as they could be, and one big problem is where to put pretty good-sized remnants. I've about decided to devote one drawer to that. I'm sure this system will be evolving for some time, as I see how it works, and of course think of new and better ways to use it. I'm already thinking that it might be nice to separate the actual fabrics into seasonal choices. I do tend to have less spring/summer fabric, so maybe it won't be a problem. It's kind of fun to get to play with all my fabric though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liana, glad the fabric organization system is going well. When I started mine I had serious moments of "fabric overload" with tinges of guilt. Nothing better to kick me out of buying and into sewing. It is kind of overwhelming though.

I am really impressed that you are able to consider seasonal fabric arrangements. I have come to the conclusion that I actually am organized, I just need to optimize a bit more, but I can't seem to get my head around actually sewing or grouping fabric for a specific season.

You must be a higher level of being and I bow at your feet.