Sunday, January 03, 2010

Alex's Drops Cabled Pullover


Photo Link

Yes, I did finally finish Alex's Xmas sweater in time. I had the knitting done a month or so early, but I didn't finish the sewing-together until a week before the 25th. There was very minimal sewing and finishing so I don't know what took me so long, but there it was. I was awfully pleased when he opened it, as he really seemed very thrilled with it. I hadn't been sure if he really was looking forward to having it, or was lukewarm about the whole thing. Well, he seemed genuinely pleased, which pleased me of course. Now the three men in that family all have matching sweaters.

Alex's is big on him, but I purposely waited two years after I made the ones for his Dad and younger brother. I knew he was close enough to a likely major growth-spurt that it would be silly to do all that work for something he couldn't wear more than a year or two. He's shot up pretty well lately, and this is generously sized in all directions. He'll definitely get taller, and fill out some, so I think this will be good for a long time. With the cuffs rolled up, the sleeves are fine now, too. This is him opening his package. Yeah, I think he likes it.


Photo Link

Details:
Pattern: Drops 59-6 Adult Sweater (child sizes available)
Yarn: Bendigo Rustic 8-ply in color #950 Delta
Size: Men's Small/Medium, took just under 6 balls (200g size)

14 comments:

gwensews said...

That is some fantastic knitting! All those cables! I hope you are doing well and being able to move forward one step at a time.

Sally said...

What a gorgeous sweater! And, yes, he does look pleased. I admire your perseverance in making three of them. I've been working on a cabled sweater off and on for three years now. You've given me hope...Sally

Unknown said...

Liana you are such a wonderful knitter! Would you consider sharing some of your tips/tricks, experience for us less dextrous people? thanks

Gigi said...

You are such a talented knitter! I can't seem to get past the basic purl stitch but that could be due to the fact that I live in a hot climate - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Digs said...

Beautiful sweater, and a happy boy. You were very wise to wait till he grew up a bit - a good wool sweater will last a lifetime. One of my favourites is a wool/mohair (purchased) one, and after 20 years it still looks brand new. This one is bound to become his treasured posession.

Happy New Year! May it bring you joy and fulfillment.

Sissie said...

Liana, I'm catching up on reading my fav blogs. I am so glad I dropped down and caught up with your life. Lovely slide show. Thanks for sharing. Evidently you had a great life with Pearle. I have loved your blog because I knit and sew and because my goddaughter's name is Liana! Keep sharing yourself.

Ann Made Studio said...

That is an awesome sweater. I love the color.

kbenco said...

Fabulous cabled pullover, and he does look very pleased.

Anonymous said...

I love to knit, have made a few sweaters, in fact, a fisherman's sweater in DOUBLE oiled wool... I live in Florida too and gave it to someone in Maine... I only wore it a few times on the rare occasion we had a cold snap bad enough to warrant something that heavy....

I love the color and pattern of this sweater you made. It is certainly beautiful and what a treasure for him!!

I always struggle with sewing the seams on knits. I have good hand sewing but oh, does it take me forever to fiddle around and sew a knit sweater seam just right!!

I mostly knit those round dishcloths and remember you blogging about how you were making yours very small. I started doing the same thing and DO like them much better that way, so thank you for that great suggestion.

By the way, I have started making those dishcloths with the Bernat Cotton Tots yarn. It is very springy and makes the most delicious spongy-thick dishcloths, and a joy to the hand. Try it, you'll like it!

susan said...

It's beautiful! How I wish I could knit ... Glad to have you back posting. I've missed you.

grammilou said...

That and the lace sweater you knit for yourself are both just superlative! It must give you great satisfaction to finish such a good job, and then see how happy he is to receive it. Congratulations!

Summerset said...

The sweater is wonderful - he looks so happy to have received it. Glad to see you back and making great things.

Anonymous said...

Alex is obviously thrilled with his gift. I wish all the recipients of my hand made gifts were so pleased. Everyone is gracious of course. But it's rare that anyone looks as thrilled as Alex does. Gift giving is hit or miss and it looks like you hit the nail on its head with your choice of gifts for him.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

This is a long time later, but I cannot figure out how to follow they pattern for knitting the flat part above the division. I cannot do it. This has been going on for several years and I would just love to get this done. I'm 80 years old you see. I need to finish this.

Everyone says to just knit the purls and purl the knits on the wrong side but what about the cables? This thing is making me tear up! Thank you for any help you may be about to give me. Lella in Ravelry.