Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

This is a sewing blog. Sewing is my avocation, and I've become rather serious about it over the last few years. Right now I'm working on a SWAP wardrobe as well as several other in-progress projects. SWAP stands for Sewing With A Plan, a good idea for any of us. The rules are at Timmel Fabrics and you can also read the articles from Australian Stitches magazine there that started the whole thing. Basically, you make 11 garments that all go together.

  • Jacket
  • 2 Skirts (one in a print/texture)
  • 2 Pants
  • 4 Tops
  • 2 Blouses (one will match the print/texture skirt)

You must choose a print that goes with all the other pieces, and a jacket that goes with everything. Obviously both skirts do not have to go with each other, similarly the pants and tops, but you should be able to make everything work together. Two main colors are preferred, and both of these should be in the print.

I did a SWAP last year about this time in charcoal/mauve/pink/blue, and have been very happy with it and have worn it a lot. This year I'm planning a brown/taupe/sage group. I have a lot of fabrics in those colors, and quite a few garments already, so it should fit in well and make everything more wearable. I'm waiting on some swatches from Julie at Timmel's to make my final choices of fabric.

I'm also participating in the January Jacket Journey at Sewing World on the Sharing Inspiration XIII thread. We've already all agreed that January is just code for "sometime this year or so." So far my jacket plan (subject to change of course) is to use a gray/beige wool tweed from the Fashion Sewing Group to make Cynthia Guffey's Jacket #5002 . I want to make the lapels and turnback cuffs from this abstract print silk crepe. .

Here's the tweed. . I am hoping I'll have enough of the silk to also make a shell or blouse, and I'd like to use more of the tweed to make a 2-piece DKNY dress from Vogue # 2683. (Ignore the picture on the left.).

No comments: